Need Canning Help

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok , I figure Randy will have the answer to this question, but I thought I would start a thread just for informational purposes.

I have canned for years and so has my neighbor that was a commercial farmer. On the same day we both canned greens. We both experienced the same issue , where we never had before.

During canning, 75% of liquid was siphoned from the jars. When I read the troubleshooting guide it suggested improper venting. Thinking maybe I just had not vented long enough, I timed the next venting at the suggested timing. Again the same thing happened. Lids were secure, not rapid temp change in the canner. Just like I always do but it happend 2 times in a row. And it happened on the same day to my neighbor.

Question: What causes liquid loss in jars, other than improperly secured lids and venting issues?

sunflower3

Did you remove air bubbles, I run a knife through mine and the bubbles come to the top and pop. That would be my thought is air in the jars.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see anything wrong with that, Crabber. You will lose liquid when there is a pressure difference between the inside of the jar and the canner. Greens should be canned in a pressure canner and I assume that is what you are dealing with. Lids are not supposed to be really tight or you will get broken jars. The rings should be just finger tight to allow venting. But the fact you lose liquid isn't going to affect the product that much. You still have a sterile condition inside the sealed jar.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you remove air bubbles, I run a knife through mine and the bubbles come to the top and pop. That would be my thought is air in the jars.

I am kinda freaky about my bubbles, so I always make sure they are out. But that's a good thought.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see anything wrong with that, Crabber. You will lose liquid when there is a pressure difference between the inside of the jar and the canner. Greens should be canned in a pressure canner and I assume that is what you are dealing with. Lids are not supposed to be really tight or you will get broken jars. The rings should be just finger tight to allow venting. But the fact you lose liquid isn't going to affect the product that much. You still have a sterile condition inside the sealed jar.

Thanks Randy. Everything I read said basically the same thing, that the food was fine as long as the jar sealed, but it really looks strange and I never had it happen before. I just wondered what was happening. Especially since my neighbor had it happen at the same time I thought maybe it was the weather.
I like them all pretty LOL! and they aren't so pretty. :(

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dawn,
That's what I was thinking. Hmmmmm. Even the canning center can't tell me. Oh well, they are sealed good so I guess it's ok.

Kya D

Back in the day my Mom would say to boil the greens for a while before serving just to be sure.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always boil all my home canned goods , some of the botulism has no odor and can not be seen , it also will not affect the seals. Better safe than dead! LOL....

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com