Recent content by mr_yan

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. M

Rotting Pepper Plants, Please Help!

I've had peppers like this and I've had blossom end rot. The ones that looked like this I attributed to sunburn. While the leaves like sun the fruit likes to be shaded.
  2. M

Will sawdust turn especially acidic like pine needles do?

The type of wood will dictate the ph level. None I know of are as highly acidic as the needles though. I used to be in super acidic and sandy northern Michigan but have now traded that for the lime stone based old grass lands of Illinois. I have used saw dust as mulch in my garden. It was...
  3. M

reel lawn mowers

Anyone here have a reel lawn mower? What kind and do you like it? I'm about to replace my electric and pretty sure I'll get a reel again.
  4. M

Mr Yan - March 2013

Guess it has only been 3 months since I started this. Yesterday I did a big harvest of greens along with a handful of beets and turnips and cleared all the scapes from my garlic. My 3 broccoli plants are large and strong and looks really good but has not started to head out yet. My 7' of...
  5. M

Composting

I did vermi-composting and it worked really well but time not big enough for my needs. Then I had a worm population collapse early this spring and it's time to move on. I do have a 1 cubic yard wooden bin but as I said it is really hard to turn because of space restrictions. It's 3' wide in a...
  6. M

Composting

Does anyone have experience with a compost tumbler? I'm now toying with the idea of getting one. I have a bin but no space to turn it effectively. I started another small bin but the only spot I have for it is highly visible and the dog can get into it without extensive work.
  7. M

damping off - yup another thread on it

These were young but hardened off. I have no cases of this before I plant in the ground so I don't suspect the germination medium. To further this point I also had this happen to seedlings direct seeded into the same area as the transplanted ones. I have removed the mulch from some of the...
  8. M

damping off - yup another thread on it

I can start seedlings great. With the use of vermicompost I have not gotten one damping off case when inside this year. But when I move them out I lose almost 1/3 after transplanting. These are showing the classic stem problem where it chokes down at the soil line. Should I just let them go...
  9. M

Now what to do...

I've been thinking about building some LED arrays. And with this I could quickly digress into a topic better suited for a homebrew electronics forum. Ultimately the sun is the best and cheapest option. I have my starting operation under a duel tube 4' shop light - it's just what I had on hand...
  10. M

Hot Peppers

Wow you're pushing the HOT stuff. For a few years I was putting Dave's Insanity sauce on almost everything but it's been years since then. Two years ago I did a bunch of jalapenos - 6 or 8 plants worth - and pickled them. That turned out really well both to not waste a lot of peppers and as a...
  11. M

Soil block maker

This tool forms blocks of soil for germinating seeds. The soil is compressed enough to hold form but will allow seedling roots to grow through it. I bought my block maker from Johnny's Seeds in Maine for about $30 but there are several others that offer them. They seem expensive at first glance...
  12. M

basil stuff

I recorded my total harvest for 2012 season - about 89 pounds - but didn't break that out by what was harvested. I did break out the 2011 season - 112 pounds - but don't remember how many basil plants I had. The garden spreadsheet file is also on a different hard drive that I haven't put into...
  13. M

Update

This is my first year with potatoes really but I know I knocked off a few sprouts when I thought I should move one of mine. While I can't answer your question I know if you do dig be careful. For the tomatoes have you thought about floating row covers or low hoops? If they're small enough you...
  14. M

hardening off loophole

Well I'm looking for a loophole in hardening off. If I start seeds indoors with additional heat to germinate quickly but then remove them and put them in a cool garden as soon as they break the surface am I shooting myself in the foot? The ground is still cool but it is plenty warm enough out to...
  15. M

Soil block maker

My thinking is this will allow for better succession planting of my garden. I'm really hoping to increase the veg output of my garden this year. I can now start far more things out of the ground and drop them right in. Peat pots were getting expensive and newspaper pots were taking too long to...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back