Recent content by prr

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. P

Help ID this beautiful shrub

Great, and please post back if you get a reply. At some point, I'll take it to a nursery when I get some time, but anything would be better to walk in with.
  2. P

I doubt its native, I live in the desert. This is too colorful. I'm pretty sure they got it from a nursery.
  3. P

Well if you don't know, I doubt anyone does, but I'll still come back here to see if anyone else does. Maybe I should just go to a nursery and see if the folks there can spot it. I'll do that if I have to. I definitely want this along my driveway.
  4. P

Possibly, although if I can ID it, I'll find out when I can plant it. I want it to replace some large junipers along our driveway, so I'm not sure it would be a great candidate to take a branch and root it. That might take a while to grow out. I agree, the color is beautiful. Any idea what it is?
  5. P

I see this around my neighborhood, so I know it can grow. I want to place it along both sides of my driveway, where it would get full sun (but the pics are obviously in full sun as well). What is it?
  6. P

Transplanting a desert shrub

OK I'll get something similar at Lowes/Home Depot. I need to buy a small rake there anyways. OK thanks for all your help. It should be transplanted in this coming week.
  7. P

OK I can buy some, but I'm not sure what to get. I went to the scotts website and their search didn't give me anything, and I didn't see anything in their mulch & topsoil section. Lowes & Homedepot aren't giving me anything marked triple mix. Is something like this...
  8. P

Oh one last thing--is there any particular type of soil you'd recommend that I add to it? Since it is a desert shrub (native), it obviously grows without any, but would you recommend I mix in garden or potting soil, into the hole I dig out?
  9. P

OK, I can handle 12-14 inches. I was hoping you weren't going to tell me that I had to take 4 feet in a radius around the center of the plant, or else it would die. That would have been a lot of digging. :confused:
  10. P

You know, we have wild brush all over the place, I suppose every year or two I'll roam around and take out a new sprout. Now that you've said what you did, I'll be on the lookout. It has sprouted up about 20 feet away from a taller shrub that I will uproot (or just use brush buster on). Do you...
  11. P

I have a shrub growing in SoCal desert region right by the street. These suckers get 15-20 feet high, this growth is just in the past year. I would like to plant it several feet back, away from the street. (1) How much root structure do I need to dig up (and transplant with the tree)? How many...
  12. P

Is this a wildflower or a weed?

I have taken a few more pics. I think this is the best one. Let me know if it isn't.
  13. P

That's a fair enough answer. We'll keep an eye out. Thanks!
  14. P

My daughter planted a lot of wildflower seeds a few weeks ago in our flower bed. Now we have this creature popping up in several spots. There are no blossoms, so I have my suspicions, but it is not stringy like most of the weeds that grow out here (southern California desert). If it is a...
  15. P

Is this something I need to treat (sap from trunk of Idaho Locust)?

Ron, I went out to look at that V. The brown part really isn't wet at all, or even damp. It is fairly dry, and that V didn't have any mushy bits that I could easily scrape away. Now if you are suggesting that I take a blade and cut into the base of that V, and then tell you what is just...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com