Coping With Life's Changes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

great news about buford and maislyn..........
that misson trip to montana sounds like a fun thing to do crabber.....

We have always wanted to do a mission trip , but with working it was very hard. Now that we have time it just seems like the perfect time. Even though tim can't do a lot of the mannaul work , his expertise in building and his knoweledge of job organization will be a huge plus ( as long as he can rmember that ....we're good :p). And I have always managed the job site clean up so it seems like a no brainer. God gave us this time to use and we need to give it back to Him. I am really excited.

I pulled a tendon in my foot just before New Years. It has seriously prevented me from doing a lot. I was walking 5 miles a day and it has been hard just to walk around the yard. :rolleyes: but I think I am healed enough to venture out for my walk today. I will take my phone and if I need to, I will call Tim to come pick me up. Wish me luck and please don't say break a leg LOL! I have got to get back in shape as I have gained several pounds from not being active. There is a great app called "I do move" even if you are not a serious exerciser, and I am not, the app shows you exactly what you do in a day. It's free and might spark an interest in you to increase your activity a little. It can't hurt ;)

Hiya kiddo, how did the foot hold up? I've also put on a bit of weight, but I'm blaming all the Christmas goodies! Well that's my excuse anyway.....;)

Good Morning John. The Foot did good. I am ok as long as I don't try to use my foot to push anything. I still have trouble when I am going down steps or getting out of the truck. If I put weight on it , when the ankle is bent , then I crumble to the ground. But for walking I am a-okay!

I really need to get in better shape. I find that I tire easily and that I cannot lift and push as well as I could last summer. This age thing really stinks. LOL
Did you get to go fishing the other day?

Hey good to hear your foot is progressing slowly back to normal. I think most of us find that we can't do as much as we'd like lol! With each passing summer we all get a little older and I try and find easier ways to do stuff around the place. As you probably know there's some jobs that can't be made easier but that's when I get some help if I can. It sometimes takes the offer of dinner/lunch etc. but it seems to work, so far anyway!:)
Yep I went fishing off the beach and managed to catch a few off a sandbar that had formed within casting distance. I put some pics of it in the "Weather" forum if you get a chance to look. I'm going to try and get down there again this weekend, work permitting, as the ocean temp is still over 75F so schools of fish are feeding close to shore.

Our water temperature on the coast is running about 45 to 50 degrees and doesn't get much warmer than that even in the summer.

Randy it stays this temp (75F) from October right through till March. Today it's 77F there must be some warm currents flowing down from the tropical north. I don't mind it too much as it's great for the beach and for catching fish! I don't think you'd get me in the water at 45-50F, lol Even in winter here it only gets down to about 66F and that's enough to keep me out, maybe I'm getting on in years lol, but one thing it does is change the species of fish which is great.

We have exceptional fishing until the water temps drop around 58. Then the fish go offshore a ways. There was a great White within 200 yards of the beach last week. She is being tracked by several agencies. {{{{SHIVER}}}}}} not going in the water ;)

Well I just thought the foot was doing ok. I have a doctors appt on Monday. tim more or less made me make one. That stupid foot hurts so bad that even the sheets pressing down on my toes hurts. I might have a fracture , which they can't do anything for where it is anyway, except maybe put me in a boot.. I would rather deal with the pain:rolleyes: The worst part is , I have no idea how it happened. I just remember it started hurting. It will take weight, but if I am on uneven ground, or I turn my foot, or strech my leg the pain is mouthwatering.:eek: This is really making me mad!!!!!!!!!

John,
Yup! Somethings we must resign ourselves to the fact we just can't do them. I think Tim and I are offecially working on our last big project. This little 10X12 pump house is taking it's toll on Tim. The trusses are finally built and up, and today he has a friend helping him with sheeting the roof. We still have to shingle and side it. This is something we could have done in 3 days a year or so ago but it has taken since before Christmas. I do want to build some raised beds but I think we can do that, just no more large scale projects.

John, we have people in swim suits on our beaches in the summer, but only the young venture into the water and they don't stay. I have done some scuba diving in Puget Sound and most the time a 3/8ths inch thick wet suit will keep you from being too uncomfortable, but I remember one morning when I was pretty cold. The sun came out from behind the clouds later in the day and the second dive was much better.

Nancie large scale projects for me are a thing of the past for me unless I can get some help. Instead of taking a weekend now they take a week at least, if I have to do it on my own. I hope your foot heals quickly as an injury can really hold you back at times.
Randy The only time I've worn a wetsuit was when I used to surf in the winter time, back when I was a lot younger! I recall when I was visiting Maine in September, many years ago we paddled in the Atlantic ocean and about 10 seconds was enough for us, lol!
Woody The tidal creeks have whiting, bream and flathead and the beaches have mainly tailor and jewfish and if you're really lucky, snapper. The freshwater creeks and streams have a lot of species including bass in the upper reaches. I think it was about 30 different species at the last count and they're all yummy! I prefer the beach as a lot of the time you don't know what you'll catch, as long as the pods of dolphins keep away, lol. If they turn up, which happens a lot, you just have to wait for them to move away and /or finish eating!

Looks like I will be doing more fishing and less other stuff. Dr. said try to stay off the foot for a few weeks. He hopes I didn't tear the endon. I declined any test just cause that's how I roll. I will wait it out to see how it heals. :rolleyes: So my wings are clipped for now. All my projects have come to a hault untill I can heal some :(
Is this a sign of things to come. I don't even know how I hurt my foot I just know it hurts. LOL!

John
Dolphins are such silly social creatures. When we fished commercially they were always with the boat.You are right about them scaring the fish away. If we stopped to rest there was one that would throw herself on the gunwhale and chatter until I fed her. They would folllow along to get the old bait dumped from traps. Often they would try to flip the traps to get the fresh bait out. I will see if I can find the old pics of them trying to get on the boat. When we gig at night they will run with the lights of the boat and the fish scatter in front of us. They tend to "blow" and I think that is what warns the fish. We also had pelicans that would actually land on the boat for a meal and a ride.

Janet, if you can bring yourself to do it, you may consider doing some volunteer work. I work with kids and also visit a nursing home. But there are other opportunities. When you give of yourself, your spirits are lifted.

Somebody needs to tell a good joke! Knock, Knock. Who's there? (feel free to jump in ........) PLEASE don't say"When Life gives you lemons...." Well, we're all going through a lot of things, from head to toe ~ inside and out. Age really is a factor. I was taught that laughter is the best medicine. (My Mom was a true blue nut-case & laughed at my Dad ALL THE TIME!) I had a great childhood b/c Mom made it happy. Be appreciative for what you have. Not for what you don't have. Michael Jackson has a song that says."Smile, even when you're aching.Smile when your ♥ is breaking." Well, I am an optimist but life does not have to be crummy. Life is what you make of it. I've had to push my own chin up. Come on gang. :) Curbster

I am pretty sure that song came out before Michael was born, but he had the good sense to recognize it as a good one.

I will absolutely never "get over" the loss of my son. Grieving him at this point in time, and always missing him are normal and certainly not selfish. I am glad I have a good councillor to talk to and it was silly of me to put my personal feelings on this very public forum.

I apologize to anyone I offended especailly Janet. Sometimes the written word is VERY misunderstood. You post have been removed per your request.

I will absolutely never "get over" the loss of my son. Grieving him at this point in time, and always missing him are normal and certainly not selfish. I am glad I have a good councillor to talk to and it was silly of me to put my personal feelings on this very public forum.

Janet, we know that you will never get over the loss of your son. I don't know what to say other than I'm so sorry. This just breaks my heart for anyone to lose a child of theirs. I am grateful everyday that all of my children are still here. Please accept our apologies for offending you. Lyn.

I've had many ♥ aches that don't ever really seem to ease. I think attempting to focus on the happiest , silly, joyful times, at least tries to ease the soul. God has a way of softening the sadness & return our thoughts to the best of times. You're not selfish ~ you're human. Now you take care our friend. We will all be thinking of you often. God Bless. Curbie

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back