My veggie garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Wow Nancie great looking veggie crop there, so healthy looking! Rainbow chard....:)

Attachments

• 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 293
  • 084.jpg
    084.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 306
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 307
I love Chard, especially the bright lights. They add such color to the garden. Looks like a wilted salad to me John!

I cut one of my first cabbages and it was so green and had such great flavor.I made slaw with it. I had a 1/2 of store bought cabbage I was going to add to the slaw and it looked so pale and watery I threw it in the compost. I had a head of broccoli yesterday that was very sweet.

On Monday my son Lysle took his trailer to the mulch yard and picked up 3 yards of mushroom compost for me and then Tim and I went and got another yard. I have spread most of it on the garden sections that are "resting". In a couple weeks I can begin direct sowing. i am so excited.
We are due to clean the garage :rolleyes: and I have told Tim I want a hydro tray in there. So be checking the project folder in the next few weeks to see if I get what I have asked for ;) LOL! It might be longer than that.

Yeah Nancie I like them too. Those poor guys were wilted in more ways than one, I took the pics in the middle of a 92F day lol. I was just pleased they were ok lol. I won't be able to plant my winter veggies until late April/early May, it may sound weird but I've never liked coleslaw or potato salad either for that matter, dunno why maybe it's the wrong combo of flavours for my taste buds?! It's great finally getting to sow your babies at long last, I always look forward to it myself. I've often thought about getting a tray as well but have never quite gotten 'round to it, maybe this year.....looking forward to your pics too!

John,
I don't really care for potatoe salad either but I do like slaw;) Yesterday a friend stopped by and I was able to give him cabbage, kohlrobi, arugula and cilantro.

I cheated and bought some sets this weekend. More cabbage, cauliflower, kohlrobi, kale , and broccoli. I don't want to take the chance of planting anything that will not withstand a cold snap or freeze.I will plug my mushrooms today and plant my beets and carrots. It is supposed to rain and then cool down this next week, but there are no freezes or forst in the focast. We actually broke a record from 1888 yesterday of 82 for a high. and our low was a record high for a low as well. I love it!

Oh I cheat on occasions too so don't worry about it too much!;) The weather here has been really hot over the last couple of weeks all over Aus. We also broke a state record here it got to 121F in one of the towns way out west from me, glad I wasn't there! Hopefully your weather settles down a bit so you can plan your veggies a little easier, I can't stand it when the day and weeks jump around from one extreme to the next.....I'm not planting much at the moment as the temps have been much to high to try and sow seed or put seedlings in the ground. If it persists much longer I'll use some shade cloth to help them along a bit....

that's a hot one John! That is summer for sure. I have actually thought about a shade house for summer. The sun can bake even the most tolerant of veggies in the summer. I have had trouble wrapping my mind around planting cool wetaher crops when it is 80 outside, but we will be getting cold rains today.

I planted carrots, and beet seeds yesterday and I spread sand and mushroom compost around my parsley. It was very pale yellow and not very big. I will plant more parsley seeds today and maybe snow peas and arugula.

I can honestly tell you I have never tasted Swiss chard but I do like every vegetable. My friend said the other day,"If I had known what a warm winter we'd have I could have planted root crops." His garden it above ground (railroad ties). He has a huge backyard & for years, I didn't know he really has a passion for gardening. We've known each other for about 20 years. I claim the 'Dummy Award'. Curbs

Oh, I wouldn't go that far. Sometimes it takes sitting down for a cup of coffee or tea to find out interesting things about your friends. We don't do enough of that sort of thing really. Electronic devices have become a major part of our lifestyles but have taken away some of the good things of life also.

Nancie Yeah I've been using the shade cloth for a few years now as the sun in Late Dec/early Jan. is really fierce. Most of the time I try not to plant in January as the weather is really not conducive to growing anything much unless I mollycoddle them along. Good luck with your planting, looking forward to seeing the pics!
Ron Yep you're spot on there. This has been a really bad summer temp-wise and also terrible for bush fires. I've not experienced a summer like this one for many years. I hope you guys in the northern hemisphere don't cop it as well! Thank goodness for the beaches.....

RandyYou are right we have become reliant on technology to cut down the amount of time we spend socailly. Face time is so very important!

Light freeze tonight. Not to bad just a couple hours at day break. Garden should be fine ;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back