Coping With Life's Changes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Nancie has your foot improved at all? Clipped wings can be a real pain...literally. Oh I agree about the dolphins they're such cheeky buggers too! A couple of times we've gone into the surf to cool off from fishing and sitting on our boards at the rear of the breakers they occasionally pop up right beside us and scare the living daylights out of us lol. I wonder if they have a sense of humour? They do it too often not to have one as far as I'm concerned! :)

Looks like I will be doing more fishing and less other stuff. Dr. said try to stay off the foot for a few weeks. He hopes I didn't tear the endon. I declined any test just cause that's how I roll. I will wait it out to see how it heals. :rolleyes: So my wings are clipped for now. All my projects have come to a hault untill I can heal some :(
Is this a sign of things to come. I don't even know how I hurt my foot I just know it hurts. LOL!

John
Dolphins are such silly social creatures. When we fished commercially they were always with the boat.You are right about them scaring the fish away. If we stopped to rest there was one that would throw herself on the gunwhale and chatter until I fed her. They would folllow along to get the old bait dumped from traps. Often they would try to flip the traps to get the fresh bait out. I will see if I can find the old pics of them trying to get on the boat. When we gig at night they will run with the lights of the boat and the fish scatter in front of us. They tend to "blow" and I think that is what warns the fish. We also had pelicans that would actually land on the boat for a meal and a ride.

Well, the dolphins laugh & have a permanent smile on their faces. I hear they are very easily trained & are a hoot to work with b/c they're such pranksters. When we were in SeaWorld, my daughter got to stand on this REALLY high platform,dangling a fish & that dolphin came ALL THE WAY out of the water to snatch the fish out of her fingers. Love dolphins. They've been known to rescue people, too. Multipurpose mammal. Curbz

Do we still have the 'Everything Else' thread. Sorry ~ this is in the wrong place but I wanted to post something on it. Curie

Update on Buford. Sorry I haven't been on for a while but Buford has had a rough time but he is doing better now. The Drs. have told him that there was an 80% chance that the cancer will come back and if he was satisfied with his quality of life for now then he could delay the radiation and chemo. They told him that because he had decided not to have the treatment because they said all they could do was give them and hope for the best and the radiation would burn his mouth really bad. They want to do another c-scan in 2 months and Buford agreed to have one. Buford asked how long before they would know if it had returned and they said 6 months, a year or longer they just don't know for sure. He still can't eat anything and can only swallow liquids for now. He has a long way to go on learning to talk again. I can understand him some of the time but then sometimes he has to keep repeating what he's saying. He is still weak but is getting his strength back a little each day. For now we are taking it one day at a time and each day is getting better.

Maggie we are all praying for you and Buford. Take good care of him and yourself. Thanks for updating us.

I agree with Lyn, Maggie. Buford is going through many many thought provoking issues but so are you. What type of liquids can Buford handle? Can he have Ensure & other nutricious drinks? While you are taking care of Buford, please do not forget to take great care of yourself. Prayers towards you and Buford. Curbie

Buford and you have been in my prayers and will continue to be in them Maggie. Please keep us updated. and please take care of yourself too. hugs my friend

Hi folks, just to let you all know Buford is doing real good so far. He still hasn't regain his strength back yet. There are days when he feels pretty good then days when he can hardly walk. The Drs. have told he that he will never be able to swallow again and he would have to be on the feeding tube for the rest of his life. That he doesn't have enough strength in the back of his tongue and throat to push the food down and if he aspirates he could take pneumonia and die. But I'm not entirely sure that he'll never be able to swallow again because he can take a few swallows of liquids several times a day. Not much but a little. Sometime he will have to cough real hard to get it back out because it won't go all the way down. He wants to eat so bad but know he can't and its just heartbreaking when he tells me he is so hungry.

Maggie, I am glad he is doing better and really feel his pain in adjusting to a new way of life after having surgery and or cancer. There are lot's of days I have to tell myself, "I am alive" and just be grateful for that. Over time, I pray he will heal more and gather strength and be able to enjoy life again in other ways. I often have said to my husband, my children, my doctors, and my councillor, the only way what I went through could have been any worse, is if it had happened to one of my loved ones instead. I don't know how they managed to cope with the fear. Try to take life as slowly as you can, lower your expectations of what you can now do, find some little thing to be happy with everyday, even if it's just looking at a pretty flower or the sunset. It is so hard when your mind is telling what you want to do, or should be able to do, but your body just will not co operate!! :)

You are right on, Janet. I can't speak from experience though as you can. I am glad you are here.

Buford started having pain in his jaw about a month ago. I knew he was getting sicker because he started losing his strength and was having a lot of pain in his jaw just below his ear and was getting weaker everyday. The Dr. sent him for a CT scan and he called me monday night and explained some of what was happing and want me to talk to him about having chemo. He said the scan showed another tumor in the lympe node where he had removed the other one and also 2 tumors on the other side where he had cancer in 2000. And he wanted to see him the next morning. We asked our son Mark to go in with us to talk to the Dr. The Dr. said he couldn't have anymore surgery because it would cause a major stroke and radiation was out because he had so much in 2000 that it would burn him to bad. The only other option was chemo but it isn't a cure but will stop the tumor from growing so fast and possibly shrink it enough that he wouldn't even be able to see it on a scan. He said they were fast growing tumors. Buford goes for a biospy 13th of June and then to chemo.
Two of Bufords sisters came from Ala. and Arkansas to see him just before he started getting so sick and commented on how well he looked. He didn't want them to know how weak and sick he was feeling. Mark is so good to us he always take us to the Drs. and for his tests. There is no way I could drive in Nashville. I'm just not used to driving in so much traffic. He sure is a blessing to us.
We don't know how he will do in chemo so we'll just have to wait and see.

Maggie I'm praying for you and Buford. I know how hard life is right now. Know we love you and think about you often.

Maggie, I am praying for you all too. Children are such a blessing, I rely on our two remaining children so much for so many things, including driving in the city! hugs to you.

Here is a good change. I finally graduated from college with a BS in Interdisciplinary Studies. I means I have a teaching degree. I have applied for my certification and had my fingerprints done. I should be a certified teacher soon. I'm looking for a job and trying to relax a little now. That was a fun semester with the Kindergarteners. I've made friends with all the K teachers and kids. I've been subbing for them since student teach got over.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back