White discoloration on herb leaves

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

lash

Hey. I'm getting these white discolorations on the leaves of my herbs. It happens both with the ones that are in the window sill and the ones that are outside on the balcony. It has occurred to me that it could have something to do with the fact that there is a lot of limestone in the water where I live. But does anyone know of any other causes for it? Appreciate any help, thanks.

plant2.jpg
plant1.jpg

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The spots are very familiar, and are probably due to spider mites!
Remove all infected parts and dispose of them.
Check for webs on the underside of the leaves.....if you have a magnifying glass have a close look for tiny dots of the spider mites.

lash

Oh dear. I've had those before. But didn't notice any webs this time, so was thinking that wasn't it. It's pretty infected as you can see. Isn't there anything else that can be done? A few sites talk about soap water, and some sort of oil...?

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can use rubbing alcohol....you can spray it on lightly, and repeat in a few days. The alcohol with dehydrate the mites.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com