aerial roots?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Odica

So I was thinking of ways to make grow a trunk on a plant that really does not get a good bark and I want to try to grow aerial roots on the plant that I would lead in to the dirt wait till they become working roots then slowly build my trunk out of the hardened aerial roots. I have done this with a weed from my back yard but in a different way. I would expose the root under the plant more and more over time it would get hard I would trim away any small tiny root that I had exposed in the end the plant root became hard and looked like a tree trunk. I want to asks of all the ways to grow aerial roots on a plant. Here is the plant and what I have done so far was up the humidity a lot it is a indoor project so I have good control over temp and humidity lighting stuff like that. Also to do this should I have a lot of light or less light? Right now the lights are on for 16 hours a day and off for 8 hours
ynery3av.jpg

2ujetuba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got me on this one. I'm going to look for a fellow at church tomorrow who is a biology teacher at our local high school. If I can get a moment with him I'll try and find out if he has any input on this.

So thought I would post a update.
a2ara3ys.jpg

Still in the humidity chamber I made gets open only for 10 minutes about 3-4 times a day.

Now the results!!!
pe3y5egy.jpg
ara8a8yz.jpg

pe4uja3u.jpg

It not only rooted already but has just touched soil today. It also has grown a second root that I may cut off to thicken up the root that has made it's way to the soil. Once the root becomes larger I want to try to turn it into something like a trunk and will cut away where the plant was first grow from leaving only the foliage that is on the aerial root(trunk)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I saw Pete at church again this last Sunday but he was engaged in conversation with someone so I didn't get to talk to him. Pete is a biology teacher at the local high school and he also heads up the schools greenhouses. I may try a different tack and see if I can get his e-mail address and get to talk with him that way.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back