Fungi in my Garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Yard_Bird

Hey, I was wondering if anyone would be able to ID this mushroom, and maybe shed a little light on fungi in the garden? I have read that it can be helpful to plants growing in poor soil, but that sometimes fungi can be harmful as well.

I have sandy soil in the area where it's growing if that helps.

fungi_garden.jpg

fungi is a good sign that the soil is good and healthy!
Identifying it will be difficult!

Hello! I started my first garden in May and I'm having some issues I need help with. We bought peat moss, compost, and miracle gro organic garden soil mix, and we mixed all 3 together and put it in our truegarden.com. At first everything was sprouting amazingly well, but after a month or so I noticed some wilting on my jalepeno, tomato, and cucumber plants. I thought maybe they needed more water so I began watering heavily every day at the roots (I think this was my first mistake). A few weeks later I noticed a lot of mushrooms in my garden. A few weeks after that I found white mold on the bottoms of the jalepeno leaves and all the jalepeno plants were covered (and removed) eventually. My carrots didn't seem to be growing much past the month mark and when I dug them up and tilled the soil, I found huge clumps of mold or fungus (I don't know) but it smelled awful and made me sick to my stomach. I have turned up the soil in different areas and some places have massive clumps of this mold/fungus under the soil and some areas don't.

Is there a way to treat this soil or should I replace the areas that are completely saturated? Is this adangerous issue like possibly black mold that would make eating the vegetables dangerous? It's definitely causing my plants to die and now that I'm trying to plant new seeds, very few are sprouting and those don't seem to last long.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back