Greens and Brassicas

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mark,
Harvest before the flowers start to spread apart. If you watch daily you will see the head begin to "open" between the flowers. Deff harvest then. That's a nice cauliflower! I might let it go a little longer as Randy says.

Be careful tasting weeds Nancie..

LOL! Yep, there was a time when I decided I wasn't going to fight the dandelions and dollar weeds anymore. All the books tell you you can eat them.
I suggest, unless you are on a survival mission, you might want something that has better flavor.

many weeds are great...but many can make you very sick...

Thanks Debe. I am aware of our local species and the ones that are toxic both to humans and animals. But it was just a nice lettuce looking weed with fuzzy leaves. And with having bought seeds where they actually have other seeds with them. So was somewhat caviler. LOL!

LOL! Yep, there was a time when I decided I wasn't going to fight the dandelions and dollar weeds anymore. All the books tell you you can eat them.
I suggest, unless you are on a survival mission, you might want something that has better flavor.

At least dandelions are edible.

I can't wait to weigh it in when I cut it off, the trunk of the plant is probably 1 inch thick. I haven't grown cauliflower before so I I guess I'm impressed by about everything.

Mark,
Believe me no matter how long you garden, if you truly love it, each harvest makes you feel that way ;) 35 years and still looking forward to each and every harvest.

Your so lucky to be able to have a winter garden, We have to start in the early spring or fall. This year I am trying Brussels sprouts. So far it gets to hot at the end when the sprouts are forming. I have started the seeds this week and hope have them in the garden in April under protection. Any suggestions?

Now I really cannot wait to start my garden in the spring. Thanks for the info, it will definitely be put to good use! I didn't know you could eat broccoli leaves.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back