Bees ~ Our Garden Friends

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I always buy the new "Blue Book" when a new edition comes out. I have saved one of the old ones just to look at it once in awhile. If there is something you want to find though and cannot, I can check and see what I have here.

Oh Randy I have Kerr canning guides and Ball Blue book from the 50's and 60's
I really like the older ones. I guess cuz they have all the recipes that my Mom made.

I don't have any like that, but I do have the Ball Book that my wife bought when she was canning back in the 70's.

Just sharing some information that I came across...interesting,and humorous

The domestic honeybee we know today is native to Europe and Africa. The pioneer botanist Linnaeus first named it Apis mellifera which means "honey-bearing". He later revised it to mellificameaning "honey-making, when learning that the bees did not collect honey from the wild but actually manufactured it in the hive.
Today there are four species of honeybee in the world, all of which build wax combs and store a surplus of honey. None are native to the states.

Bumble bees, wasps and hornets are an entirely different ball of wax. They live communally but they do not store honey the way honeybees do.

Our relationship with the honeybee goes back as far as the origin of the English language. Here are some phrases of bee-related terms. I've said and did a few.

Bee's Knees
Popularized in the 1920's by rollicking ragtime flappers, the phrase means the height of excellence. In fact, bees' knees do play an excellent role in honey making. Located mid-leg are the corbiculaie, or baskets, used to store pollen while in flight.

Mind your own beeswax
When pioneer wives made candles from scratch, they would continually stir cauldrons of bubbling beeswax so as not to let it burn. Some women, it turns out, were prone to gossiping and ignoring the task at hand, prompting others to admonish, "mind your beeswax.

Make a Beeline
"Jimmy made a bee-line for the all-you-can-eat shrimp buffet." Refers to the bee's canny ability to follow the shortest route back to the hive.

Busy as a Bee
Honeybees are called workers for a reason. They spend their lives building honeycombs, caring for larvae, cleaning the hive, feeding the queen and collecting food. Non stop..all worker bees are females.

[/B]Honeymoon[/B]
From middle ages, when newlyweds were provided with enough honey wine, or mead, to last them the first month or first lunar cycle of their life together. Could this be the beginning of "Oh,honey dear" or those "honey do" jobs.

Beehive Hairdo
The ultimate 1960's hairdo demanded an arsenal of hairspray. The ozone has never been the same.

Land of Milk and Honey
The old Testament refers to Israel as the land of milk and honey. Today, the term refers to any place where living conditions are ideal.

Honey Tongued
Shakespearean for sweet speaking, persuasive and seductive characters. "Beware the Ides of March", says Willie the Bard...and any honey-tongued lawyers, salesmen or telemarketers.

I read a book by Zane Gray over a year ago and the main character in the book had exceptional eyesight and could tack the bees back to their hives. It was a novel of course, but it still was quite interesting to learn some more about bees.

Randy, I use to read Zane Gray books as a kid, I would get lost in the stories, would spend hours reading his books, now I think I would like to reread them again, I'll have to check out the used book store to see if the have any, its even better than watching the radio and listen to the Shadow, lone Ranger, and some of the old radio show, Sorry about getting off subject :D

There is no one else in our family that will be reading these books. I rarely read a book a second time, so if you fix me up with an address, I will send you the ones I have read.

Interesting post. I didn't know we didn't have any native honey bees. Everyone is worried about what will happen if they continue their decline in population. I suppose people got along without them earlier, but than, they were growing different/fewer crops as well

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back