What to Plant in the Woods

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

vtmichaels

I have a wooded area in my backyard that has a ton of weeds growing. There is clearing in the wooded area for a sport court so a good amount of light comes through onto the forest floor. Does anyone have suggestions of some possibilities to grow on the forest floor that look nice and might spread covering where the weeds are growing?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    659.6 KB · Views: 314
You could try a combination of creeping types such as European Ginger, and various species of violets and heuchera (coral bells).....

Thank you for the reply. I think I might try English bluebells but am a little concerned about these talls weeds shading them out. I don't want to really spray anything back there.

Please post a few more photos of the area and the types of weeds!
Close ups would help determine how to remove them and the amount of work required to remove them.
Question: is there any poison ivy in the area?

Sorry I can't fit a photo on the site. The weed is garlic mustard. I was thinking of clearing part of the area and planting the English Bluebell bulbs in the fall. Hoping the blue bells choke out any garlic mustard that tries to come back in that area. Then gradually pulling more and hoping the blue bells spread as well. The area is a clearing in the beginning of a wooded area and the garlic mustard has completely taken over.

Here is a program for resizing photos IrfanView.com
It is a free program I have been using it for years!

Thank you. I can't do it from my iPad or phone so I will try it tomorrow from work. Right now I've paid a few guys to clear out about 1/3 to 1/2 of the garlic mustard. Then I plan to plant the English Bluebell bulbs. I've read a little about them and apparently they are invasive to this area. Ideally I would like to have something native to Virginia growing there but don't want to spend a ton of money filling the areas or time. Also I really don't want to continually have to get the weeds out of that area and the fact bluebells spread so rapidly works well for this situation. My wife wants something to look nice as well.

Do you have any other suggestions or think bluebells are an issue? There is only about an acres of woods shared by a few houses so I don't think there would be an issue of them spreading into a very large area. Although there is a very large wooded park area and creek a couple hundred feet away that stretches for miles throughout the area.

A cheaper solution would be to sow wildflower seeds that are native to your area. You will need to research to find a supplier of seeds which can be purchased in bulk (as in pounds) of mixed seed. Best to look for a mix of annual and perennial seed so you won't need to resow yearly.
You can still plant english bluebells, but purchase fewer of them to see how well they survive with your soil conditions and climate zone!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back