Taking over the pond

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Cort

Hi there,

My husband used to care for the wildlife pond but he is now gone and I am trying to figure it out. It meant a lot to him and therefore, means a lot to me.

Im not sure exactly what I need so here is what I have done...
Cleaned out pond and refilled with water, using a declorinator and a powder that is added right away that is supposed to create a heathy pond environment. Added a couple water plants about a week later and some algea reducer shortly after which was also supposed to make the water clear, but did not. Been scooping out larger debri (leaves) as needed.

This pond is meant for tadpoles, mainly, and other wildlife. My dog also drinks out of it so safety and clean water is PRIORITY. Im limited on pond stores in my area and up ended up with a product to reduce algea/clear water that I used but later found horrible awful reviews of it killing fish...so now Im worried about it being in the water. Should I clean out the whole pond again?

Also, my husband used to have the water nice and clear and healthy. How??? I do know he used a product for healthy bacteria...which was homemade by a store that closed.....so any reccomendations on that one?

Would love insight and help.

Thanks.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Cort,

This pond is meant for tadpoles, mainly, and other wildlife. My dog also drinks out of it so safety and clean water is PRIORITY. Im limited on pond stores in my area and up ended up with a product to reduce algea/clear water that I used but later found horrible awful reviews of it killing fish...so now Im worried about it being in the water. Should I clean out the whole pond again?
What is the name of the product?
Did you remove all the organic matter from the bottom to the pond?

Here is a good article that should help you out:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=242

Cort

It was a Tetra brand product...algea remover. I couldnt find anything else and purchased a tiny bottle.

I did remove all organic matter, yes.

Cort

I should clarify that the issue seens to be sludge at the bottom of the pond which causes murkier water. This is where Im not sure what he used! The pump is great so thats not an issue.
Is there a benificial bacteria brand you recommend? The article doesnt appear to mention it but I know it had helped our pond greatly.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Algaefix products are not a bad product to try.....make sure you follow the directions of any product and only use enough for the volumm of water.
Is there a filter attachment on the water pump! This would help to keep the water clear. Moving water circulating around the pond also helps.
Do you have any pond plants such as water lilies! Their pads will help shade the water and help control algae.

Cort

I have water plants, lots of shade, and a filter. The water is moving. I ordered a beneficial bacteria which is set to arrive today so hopefully tha will do the trick again. The algea product did absolutly nothing.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some problems, epecially at this time of the season are normal.
Rainfall and fluctuating temps will cause an algae bloom.
I think the best thing you can do is wait it out. There is only so much nutrients in the water and it will eventually be used up.
Changing the water even partially will cause a bloom.
Keep cleaning the liner of slime, and keep cleaning the filter on the pump (hopefully there is one on you pump) and just wait it out!

Cort

Thanks, Ron. Ill keep going at and see what happens. We have had some decent rainfall and there is a filter on the pump. How often do you recommmend doing a partial water change?

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a partial water change wait until the levels drop due to evaporation....then you can remove no more then 1/3 of the total volumm, then refill.
You won't need to do this very often this early in the season, but will be needed once the temps go up and stay warm.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are very welcome Cort! Glad they are doing well!!

BTW that type of water plants do you have in your pond? You should start noticing a difference in the water quality one the plants start growing...they will use up the nutrients in the water as they grow.....

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com