Pigeons creating mess in the garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

IsabelGLopez

Hello everyone,

Last month while me and my husband was sitting in the garden I saw a sick pigeon lying on the grass. It was unable to fly. It was attacked by something. I took care of it and feeded it. After a few days it recovered and flew away. Now dozens of pigeons started visiting our garden. They are creating a great mess . Everything in the garden is completely covered with bird dropping and can’t be used anyone. They are expecting me to feed them. I managed feeding them for a few days rather than that they ate all the leaves and buds in the garden. Neighbours started complaining now. They too are tired with handling these birds. Roof tops are completely covered with their droppings.I’ve heard that they cause diseases. Is that true? I’ve tried using a fake owl but was of no use.Do you have any ideas to repel them ? Please suggest some. I’ve called

( http://www.hawkeye.ca ) but have no idea regarding this stuff.My husband’s friend suggested this agency. Will they harm the birds? Is there anyone who has experience with them? Please share your experiences…. I don’t wish to kill the birds. I’m desperately waiting for some advices.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know you did your best to save the pigeon! Best of intentions are not necessarily a good thing especially with wild life!!
You should have never have fed the birds, and now they expect it on a daily basis!
You feed one and it tells the others to come for the free food!

You will need to make your garden and property unfriendly to them!
If you have bird feeders, remove them and clean up any fallen seeds! Tell your neighbors to remove theirs also!
You can use a garden hose to chase them off, and you will need to use it daily to chase them away. Eventually they will get the hint and leave!
If possible, you could put up netting over the plants and garden to keep them out...
Also stringing fishing line will help too but you will need a lot to criss-cross the property.

This maybe bigger then you can handle, and you may need to bring someone in to deal with the problem....the birds may need to be killed since they can cause diseases in humans and pets.

Hope this will help!
The sooner you deal with the pigeons the better!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com