Identifying plants toxic to dogs

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Brendar

We have recently had a recommendation for relandscaping our backyard which is in part very shady. I want to ensure all plants that go in are safe for my two dogs. I have reviewed the ASPCA list, as well as several others on the internet, and a few plants are still unknowns. If anyone has any info, I'd be very appreciative. Here is the list:

Loquat tree (mixed reviews on this one. Some say minor stomach upset from seeds, some say safe, some say toxic)
Japanese Red Maple (Another with mixed reviews, most say safe)
Cinnamon Ginger
Beauty Berry Bush
Autumn Fern
Variegated flax

Thank you in advance!!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
What type of dogs do you have, and how old are they? Do they typically eat your landscaping?

I've never encountered anyone who could attribute illness in their ups to loquats. My son has 4 dogs, and several loquats trees. So I can't really say safe or not.

Beauty berry , berries are toxic when eaten raw.
They do make excellent jam. My neighbor raids my bush every year.

Sorry I'm not much help

Brendar

Thanks, that is a help. Beauty berry was just about to make the final cut. The guy you see pictured is a 4-year-old golden retriever who has been known to munch on my young zinnias, sunflowers, parsley, anything remotely resembling a stick, cone, etc. The other guy is an 11-year-old Bichon who is much more selective. But for me the peace of mind knowing it is a safe area is worth some research now. Again, thank you for the information!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com