Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. M

reel lawn mowers

Anyone here have a reel lawn mower? What kind and do you like it? I'm about to replace my electric and pretty sure I'll get a reel again.
  2. M

Composting

Does anyone have experience with a compost tumbler? I'm now toying with the idea of getting one. I have a bin but no space to turn it effectively. I started another small bin but the only spot I have for it is highly visible and the dog can get into it without extensive work.
  3. M

damping off - yup another thread on it

I can start seedlings great. With the use of vermicompost I have not gotten one damping off case when inside this year. But when I move them out I lose almost 1/3 after transplanting. These are showing the classic stem problem where it chokes down at the soil line. Should I just let them go...
  4. M

hardening off loophole

Well I'm looking for a loophole in hardening off. If I start seeds indoors with additional heat to germinate quickly but then remove them and put them in a cool garden as soon as they break the surface am I shooting myself in the foot? The ground is still cool but it is plenty warm enough out to...
  5. M

Soil block maker

I just broke down and bought a soil block maker. I figured I was about to buy another $15 in one-time use peat pots for this season and a block maker was only $30. I got the small/mid size one 1.5" x 1.5" x 1.5" I know I am not the only one on here with a block maker. What has worked for...
  6. M

Mr Yan - March 2013

Today I started the first round of seeds with the help of a 2.5 year old. We started 75 individual plants and two 3' long gutters of peas. Started count: in a flat - 50 peat pots 20 bell peppers 6 hot peppers 4 Thai Basil 10 green basil 4 broccoli 6 ground cherries in newspaper...
  7. M

Starting to plan 2013 - I need more space

Well it's now late February in the midwest so that means garden planning and seed orders. I just received my seed order from Johnny's today. I'm trying six new varieties: Goldie Husk Cherry (a ground cherry / husk tomato) Broccoli - Gypsy Kabocha Squash - Sunshine orange Havasu Pepper -...
  8. M

Toasting White Bread

Lately I've been making a lot of bread. We eat a lot of bread, toasted or not but mostly as toast, and have only bought one loaf since Christmas. Anyway this is the recipe I've used since I ran out of whole wheat flour: preferment: 300 g water 300 g AP flour pinch of yeast Dough...
  9. M

learning new skills

I've been wondering this for a while but haven't gotten around to posting it. Aside from gardening what new skills / hobbies are other gardeners trying to learn or start? In the last few years, aside from gardening, I've taught myself how to knit, bake bread, and my newest endeavor is home...
  10. M

Subversive garden plots

I just watched this vid from TED talks and thought it would be worth passing on. I think I read one of this guy's books not too long ago. Anyway he has some cool ideas about the importance of veg gardens but no info about gardening. Sure it is about a year old but maybe someone else hasn't yet...
  11. M

Rebuilding soil in raised bed - garlic bed / worm composting bin

Two years ago I started a raised bed over a concrete pad using the strawbale garden idea. Along the way that first year I thought why not and tossed in two tubs of "red worms" as sold at the local feed store. Last fall year I added a significant amount of shredded leafs and other organic...
  12. M

First Mantis

I was rushing in after a dog walk tonight - chased by a thunder storm and the accompanying rain - and as I reached for the storm door handle there was a mantis less than a meter away walking up the corner molding / trim of the vinyl siding. This girl was BIG, easily 10 cm long, and tan brown...
  13. M

pole green beans

I'm looking for a dependable pole bean for fresh beans - green, wax, or red. Do any seed savers out there have a few extra they would spare and willing to send out? Thanks
  14. M

building new planter boxes

I just obtained some 1x6 redwood which is real 4 quarter thick which I would like to build some new veg planter boxes out of for my patio. 14 or 16 inches wide is all I can go and about 3 feet long will be the most efficient use of the wood based on the lengths. Any thoughts on planter...
  15. M

Beets

Well my mom was here and made some oven roasted beets. Both myself and my daughter found them amazing but my wife didn't really like them. Have any of you heard of a toddler that can be bribed with roasted beets with slice shallots and a touch of white-wine vinegar? I've done pickled beets...
  16. M

cantaloupe pollenation

Does anyone know if cantaloupe is self fertile. I know it has male and female flowers and needs to be pollinated but will a single plant produce? I lost two of the three vines I had going. Is the surviving third vine a waste of space or might it give a mellon? Thanks
  17. M

gardening at night

Need some help here after a conversation last night. I'm not the only one who goes out and works in the garden at night wearing a head lamp right? Some times there just isn't enough daylight, or it's too hot, to get everything done. Even when sunset is after 9pm in late June.
  18. M

Make ahead ideas

This is a similar call out to what Dale posted. I'll have a need for several pre-made meals to just thaw / heat and eat. Thing is all my ideas tend to be heavy "winter food". How about ideas that are lighter for mid to late August? We just tossed three lasagnas into the freezer. I have...
  19. M

Peaches ripe while on tree?

So this is my first year with peaches on my tree. While I know how to select ripe peaches from a grocer's I don't know when to pull the fruit from the tree. The fruit are getting to the size common in the markets and have turned bright orange / pink but are still rock hard. Should I let the...
  20. M

Lockable Gate Latches

I didn't really know where to post this but here may work. Yesterday someone was knocking on our front door which my wife didn't answer. A few minutes later the same person was knocking on our back door uninvited and unwelcome. To get to our back door she would have had to enter a gate in a...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back