Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. P

Help ID this beautiful shrub

I see this around my neighborhood, so I know it can grow. I want to place it along both sides of my driveway, where it would get full sun (but the pics are obviously in full sun as well). What is it?
  2. P

Transplanting a desert shrub

I have a shrub growing in SoCal desert region right by the street. These suckers get 15-20 feet high, this growth is just in the past year. I would like to plant it several feet back, away from the street. (1) How much root structure do I need to dig up (and transplant with the tree)? How many...
  3. P

Is this a wildflower or a weed?

My daughter planted a lot of wildflower seeds a few weeks ago in our flower bed. Now we have this creature popping up in several spots. There are no blossoms, so I have my suspicions, but it is not stringy like most of the weeds that grow out here (southern California desert). If it is a...
  4. P

Is this something I need to treat (sap from trunk of Idaho Locust)?

I have recently started seeing this stain on the trunk of my idaho locust, right at the top of the trunk. It looks like someone has just poured water over it. The brown part is not sticky at all--nothing comes off when I run my fingers over the brown part. We have not seen this on the tree...
  5. P

Are these sprouts roses?

I have a flower bed where I have 4 rose bushes, and what Ron recently helped identify as Nandina. I recently started seeing two sprouts, one larger, the other just a couple of inches tall, less than a foot from one of my roses. The rose is not doing well (it gets less sun than any other), and I...
  6. P

Can I move this one plant with reddish-green flowers over to my Idaho Locust?

Sorry for the lame thread title, but I have no idea what this plant is called. It is currently growing in two locations in a flower bed in between rose bushes, and it has already overgrown one rose and pretty much killed it off. I was thinking how beautiful the green/red leaves are, but I hate...
  7. P

Will this juniper come back?

OK I admit that I blew it. I didn't water the juniper at all this last year, and it shows. A decent amount of it has turned brown. Will this stuff survive--with extra watering? Or is there anything I can apply (a supplement like superthrive) to help it come back?
  8. P

Oleanders ok to burn?

Part of my spring cleaning is pruning away years and years of oleander growth near our driveway (a safety issue as well). It will take weeks and weeks to fit them into the space left in our trash can. Are oleanders ok to burn? I would prefer that, as it would be quicker, and not leave me with...
  9. P

Is aquarium water ok for outdoor plants?

I have two aquariums, and I have been using the water (when I do a water change for the aquariums) on my outdoor plants, usually roses. Is this ok for them? Both aquariums are healthy, in that the fish live for years and years, so without an industrial strength chemical test, I'd have to say...
  10. P

Cutting back dead growth on dwarf rose

I have attached two pics of a dwarf rose. I bought this last spring, it was put in a pot where it still resides (at the top of a bird bath). I'm not sure what to do with the dead branches/buds that have already bloomed. I'd like to cut them back, but I'm not sure if this would be ok for the...
  11. P

Mushrooms ok for soil around houseplant?

When leaves have been dropping, I've simply buried them just below teh surface of teh soil in the pot (I have a nice zebra plant). Just the last day or so, I have seen a small mushroom (now it is about 2 inches tall) growing a few inches from one of the stalks of teh zebra plant. (1) Should I...
  12. P

Asiatic lilly

I just received an Asiatic lilly that has not been watered much lately, but still has plenty of green in the trunk and leaves, and a couple of blossoms. Instructions that came with it say it can be an indoor plant. I would like to pot it (or put it in the ground, not sure which). When would...
  13. P

Coffee from stainless steel thermos ok for houseplants/zebra plant?

I throw out a fair amount of coffee from my thermos, a few times a week. Is this good for my zebra plant? Would it matter if it is hot/warm when I pour it onto the soil? Or should I let it cool down to room temperature?
  14. P

Best practice for decaying leaf

Just repotted a zebra plant. It has been struggling the last day (since I repotted it). I noticed a leaf that has the last inch of the tip, kind of bent over and discolored. Would the plant be better off if I trimmed it off? Or should I let the plant try to heal it?
  15. P

Best way to keep Aphelandra (zebra) plant from growing fast

I just found a nice, leafy indoor plant: Aphalandra Squarrosa. It is currently in a 5 inch plastic pot (the one I bought it in), but I will pot it soon. My issue: I want it on the top of my computer desk. The lady at Home Depot said it would grow to about 3 feet. That is ok. If it gets really...
  16. P

Miniature philodendron---or closest thing to it?

I would like to start on an indoor plant, that I'd like to put on my computer desk. It is messy enough as it is, but I'll make room for a nice plant. Philodendrons have always been so attractive. I've always liked them, and I've seen some very large ones. Do they make miniature ones---ones...
  17. P

Best fertilizer for Idaho locust

I planted an Idaho locust 2-3 years ago. It is healthy enough. After the first year, I was ok with taking off teh stake, because the trunk was so thick. Only issue is that it only blossoms for 1-2 weeks, once or twice a year. I planted it thinking that it would be displaying those beautiful...
  18. P

Help with grapefruit sprout

We took a grapefruit from Palm Springs, CA this last week, and just cut it open. You can imagine our surprise when we found this: http://paulrittman.com/Sprout.jpg Now that we have it, we'd like to try to keep it alive until growing season (spring?). What is the best thing to do---leave it...
  19. P

Best way to deal with this plant...

I have a shrub (not sure what it's called, see the red circle in the pic): http://paulrittman.com/replant.JPG There are two in my flower bed, and they are crowding out a couple of rose bushes. I want to move this if I can, and replant it in a bare spot in the flower bed, but I don't want to...
  20. P

Can I put my corkscrew willow on once a week watering now?

About three weeks ago, Ron told me to water this corkscrew willow every other day until it recovers (it had been underwatered and in a pot for months if not years). http://paulrittman.com/Corkscrew.jpg It is looking very healthy (you can see better if you maximize the photo). Is it time now...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back