Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. Alan in Vermont

Working the soil with "Heavy Equipment"

Bringing this thread back to life Today I finished plowing the smaller of my two plots. This is the one I mentioned earlier, the one with the good black soil. The good WET black soil after record rains. It's not wet enough to be muddy, just sticky. Plowed it with my JD 332 (16 hp diesel)...
  2. Alan in Vermont

How old is Grandma

Kya, I've been lurking in the shadows but not posting much.
  3. Alan in Vermont

How old is Grandma

The one I caught , besides television, was penicillin. The wonder drug was discovered in 1928 and was mass produced by June, 1944.
  4. Alan in Vermont

What's happening to my Tomato plants?

Knock 'em on the ground, they usually roll into a tight little circle. Insert firecracker into center of circle. Light fuse, step back and wait for BANG. No more issues with THAT worm.
  5. Alan in Vermont

Anyone file their seeds?

Quite a few of the giant pumpkin growers advocate filing the seeds. I'm going to try it on the couple packs of proven big pumpkin seed I've got coming. At over $1 a seed I want to give the little buggers every chance. That's not much money for giant pumpkin seed, some of which sells for...
  6. Alan in Vermont

animals I saw at work

That's nothing compared to some of the animals I used to work with. :)
  7. Alan in Vermont

Organic Matter

I've heard about using vinegar but never tried it. How long does an application keep the crap growth down? I know there are industrial vinegars that are a higher percentage of acid but can't find any supplier within reasonable distance. Here I am, 15 miles from the biggest city in this...
  8. Alan in Vermont

Organic Matter

This area has two primary soil types, either light sand or a heavy, almost clay loam. The result is either too dry, or too wet, sometimes in the same field. I know it is said that you can't "make" topsoil but in four seasons I did a lot to get that sand to show some color and retain...
  9. Alan in Vermont

Organic Matter

Crabber, how big is that vacant lot and what would you be mowing with? I think if it was let grow 3-4 feet high and cut with a sickle mower or scythe, if the patch was small enough, it would yield a bunch of material similar to coarse straw. Becase it grows so fast I think it could convert a...
  10. Alan in Vermont

Organic Matter

Ask and ye shall receive. This link will explain a lot about the Sudex hybrid as a cover crop. http://www.extension.org/article/18541 The seed may be hard to find in small (under 50 lb)quantities. It would be found at ag supply vendors. I may play with it as a quick growing weed...
  11. Alan in Vermont

Organic Matter

Crabber, I wish we had growing season enough to do plantings like you do. Our last frost date is around May 20 and you better plan on everything getting zapped by the third week in September. In real extreme years we have had frost as late as Memorial Day and as early as Labor day. Soil...
  12. Alan in Vermont

Organic Matter

I keep a small compost pile going through the summer. It gets grass clippings, chickem manure with a lot of softwood shavings and the scrap from veggies. The resulting "stuff" will go in the bottom of the holes where I plant my squash. In the past I've tried several ways to get rid of...
  13. Alan in Vermont

Homemade and STURDY Tomato Cages

Thank you for your "contribution" to the thread, not sure what relevance it is but you tried.
  14. Alan in Vermont

Pumpkins & Broomcorn

Two success stories out of a dismal gardening year. A decent pumpkin crop with one outstanding specimen and the makings of a witches broom for Elisha. The pumpkin measures 34" across and 24" high, some of the broomcorn hits the 14' mark.
  15. Alan in Vermont

My garden 2010

Things are just a bit gloomy here this fall, garden season is winding down, and not one second too soon. My normal goals are to have all we want or can pass on to non-gardening friends and enough to sell to pay for next years' seed and fertilizer. This year has been just about a bust...
  16. Alan in Vermont

Sweet, Chunk Pickle Recipe(s) Needed

FOUND IT! Linda just made a last attempt and, amazingly, found it in the last place she looked.
  17. Alan in Vermont

Sweet, Chunk Pickle Recipe(s) Needed

We have quite a few of what we call "ripe" cucumbers that are ready for making into sweet pickles. Linda found a recipe for them last year and we made a batch to try. Turned out that our Son-in-Law loved them. Our daughter was going to make a batch this year but we have run into a snag...
  18. Alan in Vermont

Purple Corn

I don't know why it shouldn't be. What variety did you plant? Ruby Queen has a very dark purple stalk and the ears ripen off to a rich red, although if you let them go that long they are pretty much inedible.
  19. Alan in Vermont

Crabber, I promise I will not laugh. I can admire people who can make something work out of what is handy. Function counts for way more than appearance. Since I have the tools and knowledge (now) to work with metal that is what I tend to lean towards. When me and my teenage, maybe younger...
  20. Alan in Vermont

Eventually I'll phase out the cages I have now, hopefully by the time I make 40+ more I'll have the design perfected. I used the fence panel material because it was easily available. The mesh isn't a real good size though so I had to compromise on the sixe of the cages. The next batch will...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back