a different point of view

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

rockhound

Whenever I see plants for sale at the stores, they are usually growing in a tiny cell of dirt, yet the top is 8 inches high or better. Especially with tomatoes, if you pop those out and plant them deep the stem sends out more roots and all is well in a little while. So...
Since I am now old and sick and have little energy for re-potting, I have adopted a similar system. I use a 3 inch pot to start the seeds in, nearly full of the potting mix with a quarter-inch layer of seed-starter (ground peat moss) on top.
Water well and plant, sit them on the heat mat till they sprout. I put them under the light as soon as they sprout. This is for a limited number of seeds, maybe 5 or 6 in a pot so they don't shade each other if rotated occasionally. When the 6-8 weeks is about up, I harden them off and plant out in my containers by the door. Works good for tomatoes, peppers and ground cherries but only one to a pot for the GC.
I hope this idea will help someone that likes to garden but not re-pot a lot. Happy gardening to all in 2012. :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com