A few deer...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Yes, these trail cameras can be found at places such as Cabela's etc. They attach to a tree, and I use special minerals and acorn based feed supplements to draw and hold the deer in front of my cameras... I have six of them set up in different locations... They detect motion and can take video clips as well as still photographs... I have several different makes, but the one here is a Cuddeback which IMHO is one of if not the best... The minerals and feed also are a boone to the deer during the 200 day (average) gestation period, and help bucks with healthy antler growth as well...

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
DizzyDaff, it's good to see you back. I was beginning to wonder where you were.

Dave, thank you for sharing those pictures. I think it is great to see the deer out in the wild like that.

I just can't get over the welcome I've received here... Thank you all so much... This has been a tough winter health wise and it not only feels good to get outside, it's wonderful to get on here as well... Now, I may have some fox pictures... Yesterday I moved a camera that I had set up overlooking a fox den... I didn't have a card reader or an extra card, so I don't know what the pictures are yet, but there are 14 on there... With any luck I guess it could be fox kits... I moved that camera to a "deer" location in the same woods, so it will be a few days before I find out... It's like a "box of chocolates...!!! ;)

I understand, Randy, we all have to prioritize. I'm already thinking that perhaps one that my mother, sister and I could share might be a better option. For the most part, it's for fun.

Would the motion detector be sensitive enough to be triggered by a bird, do you think?

Thanks for sharing Dave. I'm so glad I found this place and invited you here. It's so good to see your posts again.
Sorry to hear you've been ill. I hope that's all behind you now.

If any of you should decide to purchase a "trail camera", PLEASE get in touch with me so I can help you wade through some of the "hype" and separate the wheat from the chaff in their adds... For example, some of the cameras have super fast "trigger speed" making them good for watching trails... Others have a sleep mode. The first motion detected wakes up the camera, but the second motion actually takes a photo, plus, those tend to be much slower trigger speeds often catching only the south end of a north bound deer... Those cameras are far better suited to overlooking feeding stations, or mineral / supplement sites such as I make... Just FYI Dave

I guess I'm weak... I couldn't stand the suspense, so drove to the woods and pulled the card that I thought may have fox kits... Turned out to be a bunch of raccoons, one opossum, and a yearling buck sniffing, of all things, the fox hole!
Oh well... Like I said; "It's like a box of chocolates"...

I'm around Randy, just moving a little slow. Had surgery on my foot & am just now climbing stairs with my crutches. :eek:( 'puter is upstairs) Hopefully, I will be back on my feet & off the crutches soon!

If any of you should decide to purchase a "trail camera", PLEASE get in touch with me so I can help you wade through some of the "hype" and separate the wheat from the chaff in their adds... For example, some of the cameras have super fast "trigger speed" making them good for watching trails... Others have a sleep mode. The first motion detected wakes up the camera, but the second motion actually takes a photo, plus, those tend to be much slower trigger speeds often catching only the south end of a north bound deer... Those cameras are far better suited to overlooking feeding stations, or mineral / supplement sites such as I make... Just FYI Dave
I appreciate that. I may just take you up on it. I was reading a little bit about them yesterday, and realized I needed to know more about what all the terms meant. I do read all the customer reviews, which is a big help.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
There have been a couple of things I bought that I wished later that I had seen customer reviews. My laptop works, but if I had seen the reviews before I bought it, I would have stuck with plan A which was to buy a Dell laptop. I do like my Dell desktop here though.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com