A friendly reminder

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

curbhopper

Now, we shall speak about this ~ this is a friendly reminder thread. (I have the hiccups ~ wait~ still wait...) I would friendly like to remind you that ~ ~ ~ it's nice to be friends :) Thank you Bob for putting up with us :) Curbie

Markymark

I was looking to see if any rules have been created regarding global warming as I kinda feel it's political and was wondering if there is any rules related?

iPhone Typos

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking to see if any rules have been created regarding global warming as I kinda feel it's political and was wondering if there is any rules related?

No rules specific to global warming as a topic. Whether or not it would be OK depends on where you went with it.

"Obama is to blame for global warming since he allowed Africa to cut down rain forests!" would be shot on sight.

"No matter what you feel the cause is, global warming is a fact, and climates are changing. You may be able to start your plants earlier, and you may find your zone has changed. On the other hand, you may also find you need irrigation in areas that didn't previously require it." would be fine.

It all depends on the tone of the discussion and the agenda, if any, of the writer.

Keep in mind that this not the public air waves, so we do not have to allow political comments, nor do we have to give time to opposing opinions. We reserve the right to remove any post(s) for any reason, or for that matter, for no reason at all.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good question Mark!
Bob said it well, and is on the 'mark' when it comes to politics!
Generalizing about Global Warming is the ok way to go!
With all the wacky weather systems world wide it is a good question on how we will have to change our way of thinking in order to live with this new reality!
For my part I'm pushing foreward with growing (and selling) drought tolerant plants!

Last edited:

Jade

It's kinda of like our work dinner parties...no religion, no politics...but on that note I always think that it is a hoot when all of the Canadians arrive and start talking about American Politics. I always change the subject from religion to politics, ha.

Markymark

I brought it up because it was in the general questions being referenced and I wasn't sure if it was allowed since I find it highly political and didn't want to chime an opinion against it and get banned, not like it really matters. I didn't join the forum to debate political stuff anyways, just to get advice on growing fruit and vegetables.

Last edited:

curbhopper

MarkyMark ~ I kind of got lost in your thought process. I don't think we do talk politics. Maybe I'm wrong. If ANYBODY could get kicked off of here, trust me....it would be me. Randy knows so much about fruit trees (CrabberGirl) and I'm sure many more. I know a little bit about vegetables but I don't know about root veggies. I'm better at growing flowers. These people have taught me so much over the years. Please stick around. You're a valuable member. Curbie

Jade

Now Jade!
You're right!
It is always safest to talk gardening!

And of course they are all engineers or accountants, so gardening is by far my strong suit and they have NOT a clue what they are talking about, ha. Good one Ron!!

curbhopper

Did I take a wrong turn somewhere? Hey we had such a nice time yesterday. I caved in and we went to my nephew's house to watch the Master's. Golf is boring but there were a LOT of kids there so I had a great time. My nephew's wife couldn't watch the end. MTM had Oosthuizen and I had BUBBA! (Well, I kind of cheated b/c I kept putting everybody's names on my piece of paper.... I had Phil Mickelson and Bubba Watson and some guy named Padriag Harrington). There was a ton of great food and a ton of great kids so I basically played with the kids. It was a pleasant time. Yes....I know BUBBA WON! But I was busy playing with the kids. FORE! Curbmeister

Markymark

MarkyMark ~ I kind of got lost in your thought process. I don't think we do talk politics. Maybe I'm wrong. If ANYBODY could get kicked off of here, trust me....it would be me. Randy knows so much about fruit trees (CrabberGirl) and I'm sure many more. I know a little bit about vegetables but I don't know about root veggies. I'm better at growing flowers. These people have taught me so much over the years. Please stick around. You're a valuable member. Curbie

I was talking about global warming. I think it's a highly debatable subject that's usually tossed in with politics. So when I see it I always make a direct association with politics and someone was talking about it in general, and I just wanted to make sure if I commented on the post that I wasn't breaking rules. I don't agree with global warming and I was skirting around saying that not to offend people and start off a debate, which is why I wasn't directly saying it as I don't wish to offend people. But at the same time climate change and global warming I find is on the radio quite a bit so I just think in general it's a very political thing right now.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The sad aspect of global warming will be the rise in sea level which will wash away quite a few island nations, as well as all the coastal communities that live along all the coastal areas world wide!! To say this is a political issue, well, it just doesn't add up...but it is an ethical and moral issue on how businesses and companies run their world wide web of interests with disregard towards the environment on a world wide scale!

So what can we do here on our properties, and in our communities that will make a difference?

Last edited:

curbhopper

I have an opinion about this b/c we see polar bears floating on icebergs on commercials. Al Gore made it popular. I'm like you, Ron. I think (I am NO expert so bear with me) the more we go solar power the better off we'd be. MTM and I are fortunate that the sun provides that power. But I wonder how many folks in Alaska have solar b/c don't they have a lot of daylight sometimes? I don't know what happens in Idaho and Texas or Mississippi. I think it's a great topic. Yep, what can WE do, as Ron asked? If everyone is conscientious(that's spelled wrong) I THINK we can make a difference ~ one at a time. Like we use squiggly lightbulbs. I watched something last week about Antarctica versus Arctic Ice Cap. It was fascinating. I have a 'thing' about critters. Curbie

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of the farms around here are opting for solar power! They are installing solar panels on their barns and on the roofs of their homes as well as putting up free standing panels on lands that are not used for farming!
Quite a few cottagers have solar panels on their roofs!
All these panels are hooked up to the power grid!
There is a moratorium on putting up wind turbines on farmland because of health concerns!
Everyone need to rethink were they live and moving away from low lying areas will be have to happen. Moving large populations of people away from coastal areas will be an enormous undertaking because there are millions of people to be relocated.
Our world is changing faster then predicted and we have to change with it
The weird and wacky winter we just experienced this past winter is an example of what is in store for us all!

......I should rename this thread to Global Warming!

Last edited:

curbhopper

What's a wind turbine? Is it those huge 'pinwheels' (3 blades) we see on our way to PA? I thought those were energy efficient. What would cause the health concerns over the 'pinwheels'? Would it be the pesticides or whatever is used on the farms? MTM and I got in this discussion the other night. Curbster

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Palatka Florida a man named Herbert Williams invented a water turbine to be used in the river to generate electricity. They have just recently installed the first prototype version for testing. Being a riverfront land owner this could change the way we live our lives. The possibility of dropping off the grid for electricity is very real in the not to distant future! Yippy!!!!!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wind turbines are huge 'pin wheels'!
There are some reports that the vibration they cause to the surrounding are effects peoples health! Others say that they will diminish the esthetic's of the area, and are an eye sore!
When it comes to anything new people resist for whatever reason!
Personally I like them! They are a cheap and efficient way to produce electricity that do not use fossil fuels!
Anything that creates energy with little impact on the environment is the way to go!
I heard about the river turbines! They are simple to build and can be used in all area with moving water whether its rivers, or ocean tides!

curbhopper

Those wind turbines weigh a LOT and have to be postioned at exactly the right places but they create electricity. We have a gas pipleline that runs way down to somewhere right outside out t/h. We can hear the rumbles of gas going through it. 'They' usually release it during the night. It's kind of funny b/c the cats hear it way before I do. It truly is a gas pipeline. MTM asked,"What would happen if that pipeline exploded?" Well, we'd be dead. You can truly hear the gas rumbling down the pipeline. I have stood on the pipeline and felt my feet shaking. One time MTM and I were out in the snow and it happened. I really did fall. MTM said,"great ~ get up." I decided the best thing to do was make a Snow Angel. "WHILE I'm LAYING HERE..... :) Curbz

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we get a chance to take out the boat I will get a picture of the area where they have set up the turbine. They call it a "navigational hazard" and it has lights all over it. we have tidal changes so I am excited to see just what it can produce.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com