A Surprise

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

With a natural pond 25 feet from my back door I have water moccasins as well as rattlers. I'm also one of those that believe that the only good snake is a dead snake. My biggest fear is that my min-pins (dogs) will find one before I do.

With a natural pond 25 feet from my back door I have water moccasins as well as rattlers. I'm also one of those that believe that the only good snake is a dead snake. My biggest fear is that my min-pins (dogs) will find one before I do.

I understand that, I feel protective of my doggies and kitties, too. Being in a suburban neighborhood, I'm not going to see as many venomous snakes as you do; although I'm always careful to identify mine. I mean, seriously, if a rat snake wants to live in my yard, he's welcome. They'll hunt both rats and squirrels. And garter snakes eat all kinds of nasty bugs and slugs.

My next door neighbor raises snakes - yes,raises snakes! He does sell some after awhile and he does bring in quite a good chuck of change from them. His wife's not to crazy about him raising snakes,but she doesn't have a problem enjoying the benefits when he sells them! ( I'm sure ) :p I visit with him often as he's about my age too ( afew years older but... ) Here is something he told me about snakes : respect them and they will respect you ( depending on what type of course )

Just my quarter dollars worth! :)

I respect them and I like having them around, but as I mentioned, I don't have to worry about any snake I see around here being poisonous. But even in rattlesnake areas, I will let a rattler alone as long as they are not a threat to me. There have been s few times when they were and I did kill them. But I have also killed a couple that I should have left alone as they did not pose a threat to me at all. That was in my younger years.

Kim, I think I would have toyed with the kids food some way for putting a snake in my bed. In my visits to the nursing homes, I have read many stories to the residents by an author named Patrick F. McManus. He is about my age and has written about 15 books of short stories. He refers to his older sister in his stories as "The Troll". Being smaller than she was, it was not possible to get even with her by physical force for her evil tricks on him so he tells of the one time he put a garter snake in her underwear drawer. The way he describes it in the story, you can almost hear the shriek when she opens the drawer and finds that snake.

Last edited:
Randy, I love to read stories that you can hear things happen in the words.
It was such a long time ago, I must have done something but I don't remember what. They didn't get away with it though! LOL

I know that snakes are necessary or the good Lord would not have made them but I don't have to like them.

Oh, I understand. I remember how I hated them years ago, but time and other people helped change me. There was one doctor (PhD type) that was an instructor whose hobby was rattlesnake hunting in Texas. He was the one that told me he would never kill one. On the other hand, I have a nephew that has a cattle ranch in the mountains east of Fresno and he will kill any rattlesnake he runs across. The rattlesnakes take a toll on his stock every year.

We have rattlesnakes in our valley but I have never see or heard of one in urban areas. I hate that I don't know which snakes are dangerous and which aren't. I've run across them in the National Parks both in CA and here I just cut them a wide path. Some of them are quite beautiful.
Kim I agree they are God's creatures but so are mosquitoes and I don’t know anyone who likes those. LOL BTW do those serve any useful purpose?

Kim I agree they are God's creatures but so are mosquitoes and I don’t know anyone who likes those. LOL BTW do those serve any useful purpose?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so! LOL:D

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back