Adding bugs to the compost pile?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Eniram

I just thought of this idea and I was wondering if it was a good one or not. Basically I overturn stones in my yard and collect whatever bugs I find and add them to the pile. Mainly all I find are roaches. So is this a good idea?

hummmm I would think it would just bread more roaches....I would not add them myself...but thankfully I don;t have them around me...worms I do add......but have to say any bug that would be good for th garden I would not add as it would burn them up if you have a healthy hot compost pile..
Oh by the way welcome

I do not have a compost pile but I do compost, I use a compost barrel and wouldn't put any bugs in there, not really fond of roaches. Don't think that would be a good idea wouldn't the roaches eat the micros? What do roaches eat? Don't think they eat dirt, do they?

Did a little looking and here is what i found according to the California Integrated Waste Management Board.
They lists snails, slugs, millipedes, sow bugs, pills bugs, mites, earthworms, flatworms, winged beetles, spring tails, centipedes, rove beetles, ants, spiders and earwigs as common compost critters that all function to help create compost

...may be helpful...

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Organics/HomeCompost/Critters/Default.htm

http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-3-79-361,00.html

Last edited:
bugs

i have several "funny" bugs in my yard. I do not think collecting them, however nice they seem, would help me to get rid of the harmfull onces. some are just out to "pest" me!

Eniram,
Welcome to Garden Forums.
Bug will find their own way to your pile. I see no harm in adding bugs however there is really no need. Like Debe says I also add worms when I start a new pile. They reproduce quick and are a big bonus to any compost production;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back