Additional Beer Tax in Oregon

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heard on the news this afternoon that in Oregon if the tax law is passed, A glass of beer tax will be increased $1.50. I am not a beer drinker but that is mighty steep for one glass of beer. Where are all those additional taxes going to end.

Also heard in one one state think it was Vt. that cigarette tax was going to $3.24 PER PACK. Where will it end?

bob

Administrator
Staff member

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't smoke but cigarette tax is getting out of control. Why not increase the tax on liquor while all these other taxes are coming on the scene.

I don't smoke but cigarette tax is getting out of control. Why not increase the tax on liquor while all these other taxes are coming on the scene.

There already are a lot of taxes on liquor, wine, and beer. The cigarette tax in SC is the lowest in the nation; bout time they raised it, too.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just read a couple of days ago in the address Theodore Roosevelt made to a joint session of Congress in 1903, I believe. In that address, he stated that revenues were exceeding the cost of government and they should reduce the revenue (taxes) to come closer in line with the cost of government. He also stated that to raise the cost of government in excess of revenues would be a foolish act.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I totally agree with everything that's been posted, but I guess I'd better follow my own house rules. While this is slightly related to gardening, since it involves beer and tobacco, both of which are related to agriculture, it's still pretty much outside our scope of discussion.

So, I'd like to drop this one while it's still a nice friendly chat. It's one of the two topics (Religion and Politics) that I'm pretty strict on not allowing. That keeps things friendly and non-confrontational around here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't drink beer or smoke but hubby does and maybe it's time to quit. Unreal they want to tax those with addicitons that can't just quit cold turkey. Reminds me of the 10% Luxury Tax Flaorida had in the 1990's. Any thing( boats , cars, trucks etc) over $30,000 was taxed an additional 10%. I didn't find out until I saw the final figures on a new truck I bought. I was not happy.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com