Amaryllis

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

My grandmother always had them blooming, she kept them as house plants. I used to buy her one at the holidays every yr when she went to the nursing home as she used to love to watch it grow and bloom.

Laurie I usually get one during the Christmas holidays to bloom inside winter is raging. Always reminds me of my mom. Last year I grew an Amaryllis in water it was just as beautiful.

More pics

More pics of my Amaryllis. Although mine are not indoor plants, they are really putting on a show this year!

Attachments

• more amaryllis.jpg
    more amaryllis.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 353
  • amarillis.jpg
    amarillis.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 344
Thank ya very much Dawn!
If you'll notice..there is a pond behind these flowers and it's covered with a lot of Water Hycinth. Although it's beautiful when blooming, it re-produces beyond belief!!! If anyone has any idea how to kill Water Hycinth..please let me know!

Beautiful Gloria. Sorry I have no clue how to kill water hyacinth. I'm sure someone will come along with some info.

Gloria - don't kill it.............. trade it! Surely someone has a pond and would love to have them. I think they're beautiful.

Thank ya very much Dawn!
If you'll notice..there is a pond behind these flowers and it's covered with a lot of Water Hycinth. Although it's beautiful when blooming, it re-produces beyond belief!!! If anyone has any idea how to kill Water Hycinth..please let me know!

I thin mine out and compost them!
Still a bit too early for me to buy some to put in the pond!
May is usually when they have them at local garden centres!
In the late fall I remove the rest of them and compost them all!
They are not worth the trouble in trying to overwinter them indoors!

I thin mine out and compost them!
Still a bit too early for me to buy some to put in the pond!
May is usually when they have them at local garden centres!
In the late fall I remove the rest of them and compost them all!
They are not worth the trouble in trying to overwinter them indoors!

Ron, are you talking about Amaryllis or Water Hycinth? You have me a bit confused. Water Hycinth floats on the water and you don't bring it inside to overwinter..at least not here. With our mild winters, the cold doesn't touch it. It stays green year round. How and why do you compost them? The roots are not planted in the soil, they just hang along ..floating in the water like hair.

Sassy, Water Hycinth is illegal to mail or transport in a lot of states because of it's invasivness. You wouldn't believe how fast it mulitiplies. I wouldn't want to get into trouble for mailing this to someone. Although..anone who would like to bring a big truck and haul it away is welcome to all they can load!

Attachments

• hycinth.jpg
    hycinth.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 361
Ron, are you talking about Amaryllis or Water Hycinth? You have me a bit confused. Water Hycinth floats on the water and you don't bring it inside to overwinter..at least not here. With our mild winters, the cold doesn't touch it. It stays green year round. How and why do you compost them? The roots are not planted in the soil, they just hang along ..floating in the water like hair.

Love your Amaryllis Gloria! Nice size pond too!
Water Hyacinth!
It grows so darn fast when the temp gets up into the 80's!
Water Lettuce is another fast grower for the pond, but a bit slower then Water Hyacinth!

Ohhhh, I misunderstood Ron. I thought you meant that you fertilized (compost) them!!! My bad!!! LOL
Yes, the pond is large..we had it dug and is about 35ft x 65ft. I was all excited about a natural pond and then RJ brought home a garbage bag full of water hycinth to put in it. I warned him but what do I know? After the first year, it took off and we have battled it since. The pond is not as lovely as I once imagined ..not to mention the snakes it attracts. I think the only answer is to get a dragline back in here and dig the w-hyc out and bury it and start all over!!

Yuk, "snakes that it attracts". I don't think I could have a pond down there if I lived there cause of the snakes. It gives me the shivers just thinking of them. I know my cousin in FL gets them in their pond and pool every once in awhile.

I love snakes! I usually have a small 12" brown snake in the front garden, and a larger one that sticks around my composter waiting for mice! If they are in my way they are friendly enough for me to pick them up and move them out of my way!

For the water hyacinths use a long handled rake to pull the plants out of the pond!
They do rot fast once you compost them!
Digging again and starting over?
Wish I had your money!
You can also use a drag line (you will need someone to handle the other end of the rope) and drag it across the water surface. This will pile up the plants and help in the collecting the plants!
Then you can use a rake to drag in the rest of them!

Ron, we have raked, pulled and dragged till we have been blue in the face! This stuff multiplies faster than we can beathe! I've dragged out loads, let it dry and tried to burn it..it won't burn! This is one tough plant. I heard from a friend today that said to get myself a flock of geese, that about 6 of them would clean it out in a few weeks.
Anyone have any geese to trade???

Ron I don't mind the snakes around here, they stay out by my coop and hunt mice. So I do kinda encourage them to stay. We have gopher snakes, whip snakes, garter snakes (all are safe) we also have rattlesnakes but I have never seen them in the yard. Hope I never do.

Yuk, "snakes that it attracts". I don't think I could have a pond down there if I lived there cause of the snakes. It gives me the shivers just thinking of them. I know my cousin in FL gets them in their pond and pool every once in awhile.

LOL! yep snakes and water are a way of life in Florida. My pod has not had any bad snakes yet but I do have garters, and rat snakes and that's actually cool except they eat the fish:eek::(:mad: They are attracted to the sound of the moving water.
After much ado we are redoing our pond set up. I'll have to post before and after pics. We haven't really even finished the first one :rolleyes:

Speaking of amaryllis...I picked up a couple of large bulbs last year and completely forgot they were in a bag with flower seed that I put in my closet for spring planting this year. They are dry and hard but don't seem to be rotted. Can they be planted once they have completely dried out?

I didn't realize - you can tell I don't have a pond can't ya? LOL It is gorgeous but since I read this, I googled and it does sound dangerous. TX wants you to report it if you see it anywhere in the state. Geez! Of course I was over it when you said it attracts snakes. I don't do snakes. That would freak me out for sure!

Ponds are nice and if you have a water feature with the soothing sound of water runnning ..it's so relaxing. I'm not that afraid of the snakes as far as for myself..I watch for them and usually see them before they become a danger. It's my dawgs I worry about. I have 3 Miniature pinschers .... this breed is bred to seek, find and kill rodents. A snake is a rodent to them and could be life threatning with some snakes. We have water moccasins, cotton mouths (the most dangerous), and rattlers..all poisonious. Moccasins are the worse around a pond. I've beheaded quite a few of all!!! Snakes are coming out of hibernation now so I'm watching closely.

Palmettogal, if the Amaryllis bulbs are still hard I would plant them and water really good at planting and after. I don't give up on anything till I give it a full 2 weeks in moist soil.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back