Amaryllis

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

R

RiverRock

Has anyone grown amarylis as a house plant? Are they hard to grow? I think they are so pretty and would like to do one in the house if possible.

RR

Dor

Two of mine are inside right now RR. One has bloomed and the other one is getting ready to bloom. I do put them outside in the summer and bring them inside in Winter. My other two are still dormant. I watered them a couple of times but nothing yet.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can actually do a really neat container with them and it works with paper whites too. Get a nice glass wide mouth vase or dish. Fill it with about 3" of stones or decorative glass beads. Add water to the top of the rocks. Place your bulb in ,roots down and watch it grow. Choosing a container to fit the bulb is essential. You can place more than one bulb to a container. When the bulb dies back remove it from the container and allow it to dry for storage. You can force them to bloom again by allowing them to dry, place them in the fridge for about 6 weeks and then start all over;)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can actually do a really neat container with them and it works with paper whites too. Get a nice glass wide mouth vase or dish. Fill it with about 3" of stones or decorative glass beads. Add water to the top of the rocks. Place your bulb in ,roots down and watch it grow. Choosing a container to fit the bulb is essential. You can place more than one bulb to a container. When the bulb dies back remove it from the container and allow it to dry for storage. You can force them to bloom again by allowing them to dry, place them in the fridge for about 6 weeks and then start all over;)

You will need to fertilize them to fatten up the bulbs so they can bloom again after a rest period!

PRH

Amarylis as a house plant??? Yes,I have done that 1. As for being hard to grow or get going - ( I don't really think they are --- Patience is a verture ) :p
Paper Whites are pretty cool too! After both of them have finished blooming and I have omitted giving them any care they have started back on there own. I have had the same plants now for about 4 yrs. and they always seem to do ok for me and get some complimants when they start to bloom too! ( usually start blooming for me mid Jan. early Feb. ) * nice little pick me up when it's not very nice outside for getting to see much plants blooming too *

Good Luck on your decision, hope something helped with that! :)

Last edited:

deck chucker

I have a couple bulbs I got at Kmart a few years ago. I potted them as it suggested and they've been in those pots ever since. I put them in my basement which is pretty dark most of the time, but there are a few windows. They started to sprout leaves about January and the leaves are about a foot tall now. If they bloom the way they usually do I'll have flowers about June. They're a real pop of color. Once the flowers are done and the leaves die back I put them back in the basement. I only give them a little water about once a month through the basement time if that.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been meaning to post some of my latest photos, so here they are:
the first one is Apple Blossom in bud. I only paid .50 cents at an end of season sale late year! The second, in bloom.
The last is White Picotee which is getting ready to bloom! Should start to open by the end of next week!

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 342
  • Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 321
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your very welcome River!
Correction of the White Picotte: I should have had a better look at it before posting! The buds are expending and filling in nicely and should be in full bloom by Thursday!
Mine bloom 2 - 3 times a each year!
Tips on how I care for them:
1/ I fertilize mine every other week while they are actively growing, with 10-30-15 at half strength. They are greedy feeders;
2/ I put mine outdoors in a bright spot that recieves morning sun, from mid spring until late Octobe r(as long as there is no frost warnings). They look good under the gazebo and are very happy with the lighting there! and bloom nicely around around the end of June/early July.....then again in early September;
3/ I keep mine well watered, once a week while indoors, and daily when outdoors, especially during hot spells;
4/ When I bring them indoors in the late fall I put them down in the basement and do not water them at all until they show signs of sending up flower stalks, usually righ after New Years.

To know that you are caring for them properly the bulb should develop into the size of a medium sized grapefruit. The more leaves the buld sends up the better the blooming!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh great information...woo hoo!

Now here is my quesion, the bulbs i should be getting the guy said are ab out the size of a penny maybe a tad smaller...so pretty tiny. After i plant them, how long will it take before they actually put on the first flower..are we talking like 2-3 years?

RR

Not sure how to tell you River, but the guy is BS'ing you!
If the bulbs are that small I doubt whether they're from an amaryllis!
If he's telling the truth, which isn't likely, then these bulbs would take 2 to 3 years to develop into flowering size bulbs, if they survive being removed from the parent bulb at such a young tender age! Then again, you will need to feed them at regular intervals, and not let them go into a dorment period so they can develop nice fat bulbs with lots of strap leaves!
The offsets on mine are the size of a small orange! They take anywhere from 1 to 2 years before they are large enough to be detached from the parent bulb!

Last edited:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
WTG River!
To be fair, I'd double the tulip bulbs!
I think you will be very satisfied with your trade with the lady!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you River!

Here's the latest to bloom 'White Picotte'

Attachments

• spring bulbs 2009 014.jpg
    spring bulbs 2009 014.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 326
  • spring bulbs 2009 015.jpg
    spring bulbs 2009 015.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 331

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's the latest of 'Apple Blossom', it is at it's peak now and just starting to fade. Has a very light fragrance which is hard to describe, kind of minty.
'White Picotte' has no discernible fragrance.

Attachments

• spring bulbs 2009 016.jpg
    spring bulbs 2009 016.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 340

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
That stalk is your amaryllis bloom. The stalk won't get too tall this year based on the the height now of the beginning bloom.

Glad you finally got the amaryllis bulb. Sometimes folks have health issues and it takes awhile to fulfill their end of the trade. That is one reason I hardly ever trade any more.

GardenBear1

RR, your going to fall in love with them after yours bloom, one of mine bloomed in late Jan and now has a new bud growing, I have 4 more that bloomed this year, I find them a wal mart for half price after they have blomed :D

amaryllis.jpg

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
GardenBear is right, you can find good deals on amaryllis bulbs. Probably cheaper than paying postage in a trade.

myfedora

I don't have much luck with house plants. So I try and just keep my flowers to outside. The amaryllis are very pretty though!
As far as trading I try to send my trades or postage as soon as possible. I don't like to keep someone waiting and I look at it as lending money to family. You hope they pay you back but if they don't you it was just a gift to them. That is just the way I look at it.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Myfedora Amaryllis is mainly a outside plant but can be grown in containers indoors.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blooms

This one is blooming like crazy! My solid red Amaryllis should open soon. They bloom a little later than these and have a smaller bloom. You can also see my yellow Iris in the corner of the pic. :)

Attachments

• Amary flower.jpg
    Amary flower.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 339

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com