Another Plant ID Thread

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Madmartigan

Hello,

My wife and I purchased our first home in June so we are both very new to the whole garden scene. This plant popped up in late summer/fall in a flower bed and we were curious to know what it was. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG00151-20111026-1502.jpg
    IMG00151-20111026-1502.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 293

sunflower3

Looks like oak leaf lettuce to me, but not sure. maybe it's Osaka Purple mustard?? Randy will be along, he's the plant expert and will tell you for sure what it is.

Last edited:

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
it looks like as has been said a type of mescalin, mustard, lettuce green...but at that size, if it is edible, it would be rather bitter... Looks pretty though...welcome to the place

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Mad!
Looks familiar, just can't think of the name at the moment.
I'd let it flower then post a photo.
You could always do a taste test to find out of it is edible!
If it has a flavour that's pleasently bitter let us know!
You could do the smell test by picking a piece of the leaf and rub it between your fingers! Let us know if it has a fragance!

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe it is a definitely mustard and totally edible. A little on the spicy side , good in salads or as a wilted salad. Not the typical mustard you think of as a cooked green. It gets to degraded when cooked. I tried it once LOL!:p

Try it as a wilted salad.

Fry bacon strips until bacon is crisp. Add sliced onion and warm until tender. In a bowl add 2 TBS of soy sauce, 2TBS of vinegar, 1/4 cup water. Add this to the bacon and fat dripping in the pan. Allow to simmer in order to de glaze the skillet. Pour warm mixture over the wash and chopped greens. Stir well and serve hot.
I just did this with bok choy, and arugula. Was fantastic.

Madmartigan

Thank you all for the input - very helpful. So is it safe to say this isn't a "weed?" Haha, when it poked out of the ground it had really peculiar leaves so my wife decided we were going to let it grow. It got a little bigger than what you see in the photo but winter hit and I'm not sure it had much of a chance to grow flowers or anything.

Kya D

Glad we could help... it is great to have another Utahan on the site.
I'm in zone 5 also.

Madmartigan

Ok, have some more here! :D

These are growing in my very unfinished back yard (for now) but there are no other plants like these in the whole yard. Any clue what they are?

Untitled.jpg

DSCN4055_12-04-21746.jpg

These are growing under the fence and have very soft, fuzzy leaves...

DSCN4056_12-04-21747.jpg

Jade

The first one looks like a euphorbia...burros tail, careful of the sap, it can cause allegic reactions, made my eyes swell shut one time. The second one is lambs ears.

Madmartigan

Here's another one. I really like the look of these, but isn't this a weed? I've seen them growing in people's lawns and so I don't want to plant it if it's going to spread everywhere.

Attachments

• IMAG0236.jpg
    IMAG0236.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 300

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are called Grape Hyacinths!
The can become invasive if allowed to go to seed!
They are one of the more aggressive spring bloomer!
Once you have them you will never truely get rid it them!

Here's another one. I really like the look of these, but isn't this a weed? I've seen them growing in people's lawns and so I don't want to plant it if it's going to spread everywhere.

Last edited:

Madmartigan

Ha, good to know. A buddy of mine offered to let me have the plant for my flower bed and I loved the look of them (I don't ever see them in my neighborhood) so I came to get it. Well as I drove through his neighborhood I saw them poking up in his neighbor's lawns. That got me nervous, but I took the plant anyway and planted it in my flower bed. The next day my wife and I both and dentist appt's and when we saw the same plant growing in the grass at the dentist she decided the plant was going in the trash. So when we got back from our appt, she ripped it up and tossed it. She said she refuses to have weeds in the flower beds. haha

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now you know!
There are a few other aggresive spring bloomers too!
But then again, they are only aggressive in certain zones and in particularly rich soils!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com