Any Garden Crafts??

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Oven Mitt Bird House

I made Bird houses from my old oven mitts. I cut the hole in first then stuffed with plastic bags then put 3 coats of spar Urethane on it. For the bottom I cut out a piece of wood then nailed it on. :D

Attachments

• tn_bhouse1.jpg
    tn_bhouse1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 336
  • tn_bhouse.jpg
    tn_bhouse.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 319
That's an original, I like it! So the urithane hardens the mitt and you remove the plastic bags..right??? Recycling can be fun.

Great idea, I'm thinking the same as Gloria but anxious to get your answer. Trying to figure out how you nail the bottom on though. What do you nail it to? the hardened mitt is thick enough?

Oven Mitt Birdhouse

Yes the spar urethane makes it rock hard and keeps it weather proof, protects it from sun and all weather. Once you get your first coat on you can take out the plastic bags. Then add your bottom, you can staple or use little nails, then do 2 more coats letting each coat dry before you do the next one. Sorry never thought to include that on the first post. :rolleyes:

Got another one!

This is a solar light craft that I am doing to make extra money since I am not working. It is easy to make. You take a landscape post, cut 3 pieces out to sizes, 16", 12", and 8". Take your rope and either nail with U nails or Air compressor staple (I use 1" staples). I used a bungee cord to hold my pieces in place while I staple them. Use rope around the bottom and middle of all 3 post. Make sure you get the rope pulled tight. Then Rope just around the top post just for looks. Once you get this done is time for the hole for your solar light. What I did was once I got the solar light I took the post out and went to hardware store to buy a hole saw. I had to get the same size hole saw as the post was. This gives it a good tight fit. Once you get the light on just liquid nail your pretties on! I shop the dollar stores, goodwill, and discount stores for the birds and stuff I put on mine. I sell these for $20 each and make a $12 profit on each one. Right now I have a greenhouse that is selling them for me and he wants all I can make!

Attachments

• tn_103_0177.jpg
    tn_103_0177.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 326
  • tn_solar1.jpg
    tn_solar1.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 334
  • tn_solar2.jpg
    tn_solar2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 348
WOW...I especially like this one!! I'm going to try it. I've been looking for ideas to add to my front garden. Thanks bunches T.

New Project!

This is one that I have been working on. It is a planter. You liquid nail the boots on first putting a bungee cord around the pant legs to hold it tight to it. After a day or two fill the bibs with plastic bags to form the shape you are looking for. Put on 3 coats of spar urethane on the bibs letting each coat dry before putting on the next. Once done with that, take out the plastic bags and fill the legs up to waist with rocks or sand. Then get old cheap flower pot to put inside with flowers that grow tall and something that will vine. (NOTE) I use the spar urethane because it will protect against all weather and UV rays, so will not turn yellow after being out in the sun.

Attachments

• planter.jpg
    planter.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 318
Wow we really have some talented crafters here. I like that people get things from thrift shops and repurpose them into their crafts. I do it all the time. Actually DH says Goodwill is my second home. LOL

I always seem to end up giving away my crafts as gifts. I get bowling balls in thrift shops and paint them. I painted four or five of these lady bugs before I got to keep one in my garden.

Attachments

• 100_2792.jpg
    100_2792.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 357
Nice Lady Bug Bernie!

I like your lady bug! I can't paint like that though. It would look like a 2 yr old did it.:rolleyes: I was thinking about getting an old bowling ball and gluing the glass to it but haven't done that yet. Lots of things I would like to do but can't right now. Goodwill is my home away from home too. Is amazing what you can find there and turn into your own treasures!
Nice job though on the lady bug!

nice lady bug, wish i was that talented, i paint like a 2 yo too.
if you didn't live so far away, i would ask to buy a lady bug from you but too heavy to ship
thanks everyone for sharing your crafts

I like the lady bug too! Yep, I agree...we have some talented members. I was so hoping to get one of the 3 posts and light features done. Hubby took my rope!!! You'd have to know about trot line catfishing here in SC to understand.. but my rope is at the bottom of Santee River right now. I'll have to get some more rope before I can try this one.

OMG Gloria I understand. You'll have to hide that rope in you unmentionables drawer, only place he won’t look for it. LOL.

Thanks for the lovely compliments. Actually I paint like a two year old too. I used a bowl to trace the outline for the face then I got a little kids coloring book and copied the face. The rest is just a matter of dividing the ball in half then tracing the cap from the paint bottle for the spots.

Bird feeder

I was bored today and decided to dress up one of my bird feeders. It was just bare wood.

Attachments

• tn_buffet.jpg
    tn_buffet.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 319
  • tn_Eat.jpg
    tn_Eat.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 326
I love what this spar Urethane does, wow! Where did you buy it?

And the creativity in this thread is just wonderful!!

Keep 'em coming gang! (I have a computer again!) :p

Scarez

Since my back went caput, I tend to do everything, even crafts, in very small steps. i did have pictures along the way -- but in October my computer went caput as well as ALL OF MY PHOTOS. Talk about crying like a baby.

Hubby had a few pictures on his computer, so I can share a bit. I've been in pain for so very long, it will be some time before I can even start something new, tho I do keep in prayer and am hopefull for the New Year.

Yeah yeah, stop rambling Scarez, get on with the pics.

I found a few to share, if I do this right. Wish I still had the pics of what I started with, eeesh, but here's my completed mosaic birdhouse, front and back. I gave it as a Christmas gift to an adorable 10year old Angel girl, and I'm blessed to be able to help her learn as well :p

Do you still have the computer? This same thing happened to me and a friend of mine (great with computers) took the harddrive out of the computer and uploaded just my pics on to another harddrive long enough to burn them on a disk for me so I got to save my pictures.

If you still have the computer, maybe you could take it to a repair shop and tell them that you just need the pics off it. I'm sure if my friend knew how to do it, some other people do, too. The whole process took him less than an hour and I had 4 disks full of pics when he was done. Talk about relief!!!!!

Fabulous idea Sass. Yes I kept the hard drive, tho am concerned about what it will cost to ask someone to get anything off it. I'm saving it tho, so that oneday I can do just that. I knew I was saving it for a reason!! I just didn't know what....:p

Shouldn't be much

I called my friend after I wrote to you to see about expense - he says typically people will charge between $20 and $50 to get stuff off a drive like that. Probably better off with a small mom and pop kinda place. They tend to be more flexible about that kinda thing and more sympathetic to the situation too. Big giant corporate stores probably send it off and charge you $100 to cover the shipping charges, etc.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back