Are these Charentais canteloupe??

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

DixieVader

Hey,

We planted some 'Charentais Canteloupe' seeds from Peaceful Valley. They are now loaded with fruit, but they don't appear to be what they are supposed to be. They don't look like the picture on the seed packet, or like any of the other Charentais pictures I've seen. They are also larger than a grapefruit, but not as large as muskmelons. They resemble the picture that Peaceful Valley has on their website of Charentais (http://www.groworganic.com/pvfs-melon-charentais.html), but I haven't seen any other pictures where they are supposed to look like that. I didn't think that the Charentais really had any webbing on them, while our large ones are covered with webbing. The pictures are of a young fruit and a larger (but I don't think mature) fruit. The main reason I'm trying to figure this out is so I can figure out when/how to pick them. If anyone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Melons.jpg
    Melons.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 264
The problem maybe the quality if the seeds!
I would order from a reputable seed company such as Parks!

Check the maturity date, it is usually on the packet of seeds
You will know when they are ripe when you can smell the typical musky odor, and the stem removes easily from the fruit.
Other methods to determine if they are ready:
  • When rinds begin to change from green to tan or yellow, the melon is probably ripe, but be careful not to pick too early.
  • Look for a crack in the stem where it attaches to the fruit. This is a sign of ripeness as well. The fruit should be easy to separate from the vine, but if they fall off by themselves they are usually overripe.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back