Ashes in compost?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mike5150

Hi there. Just wondering if ashes from my fire pit would be something I could add to my compost pile. I only put dead branches that fall from my trees and sometimes the occasional marshmallow that falls off the stick in the fire pit...nothing wierd like crackle logs or anything else for that matter. How about ashes from my charcoal grill? I use a chimney starter and regular old Kingsford charcoal, so no lighter fluid chemicals to worry about. If ashes are ok, is it safe to assume they would be considered brown?

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
i add mine to the compost...have for years and never had a problem...also we put them at the base of roddies ...to add a bit to the soil

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ashes from non toxic woods and paper is ok for an organic compost or to turn in to your soil. The main thing is to not over do it, no more than 1/4 of the entire pile;)
Oh by the way Welcome to Gardenforums.com Mike!

DAWNHUNTER

Crabbergirl: isn't the run-off from hard wood ashes what you make "lye" with; or is that only after you boil it? We have a big ash pile here on the Reservation and it does eventually turn to dirt (suprize, suprize).. Grass grows o n it but never tried to grown in it; wonder what the Ph is?

Green Gardens

You can absolutely add wood ashe to your compost and garden. Done it all our lives :) often use wood ash in place of garden lime, as it is alkaline.

I heard talk about wood ashes as a sink for heavy metals.

But ashes and charcoal are a traditionally valued fertilizer. If not overused, as Crabbergirl already pointed out, they do rather well in a compost.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com