Backyard Tree

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

ivanjay205

In my last house my wife and I planted an elm tree as a bare root when we bought the house. We watched it grow over 8 years and took family pics in front of it. It became an important thing to us. We sold the house to a young couple as we were when we bought and gave it to them as a present.

In our new house we want to start the tradition. But this time, a bit wiser, want to think about what type of tree since we are staying here for a long time.

I am on long island (ny) and backyard faces north so it is shady from the house. We have a pine back there which makes a MESS and I dont
Like it. But it is massive so it is staying.

What is a good recommendation on a tree? Is an elm a good tree, something else a better alternative? I am not knowledgable about the types etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would depend on what you mean by good. Something that flowers would be nice but probably a mess to clean after the flowers die off. Many weeping trees look nice as well

I like oaks but then they can be messy when they have their little nuts and acorns falling. good luck.

Yea I love them. In 20 years it will look great :)

I am thinking let the roots set and let it grow a bit before staking and training it, agreed?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back