Banana Bread Recipe

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
In honor of National Banana Bread Day on Feb.23rd here is my favorite banana bread recipe.

1/2 c. oil
1 1/2 c. sugar or less
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 c. sifted plain flour
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. sour cream (may substitute buttermilk but not as moist)
3 large very very ripe bananas

Cream oil and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Add flour, salt, soda, sour cream, bananas and nuts. Mix well. Grease 2 loaf pans, pour in mixture and bake 45 minutes 350 degrees.

Note: I put bananas in the freezer until I have enough to make a batch. Very ripe bananas make the best moistest bread. Freezes well. Does well in cupcake paper cups, I spray the papers before pouring in batter.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dawn you know I love National Day's to celebrate. Anything for a celebration!!!!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
We used to have a gal (Herbyanne) on another forum that kept us posted on special days and weeks. She had a stroke a couple of years back though and hasn't been back on line.

Spider_Lily

I miss Herbyanne I sent her a card at Christmas to let her know we were thinking about her.
I tried some Banana Nut Oatmeal today it was worse than nasty:rolleyes:

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
i'll have to post my recipe when i get home tonight
it's different than dale's and doesn't have sour cream but it is moist and everyone loves it

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Laurie please post your recipe. I love the try others TNT (tried and true) recipes.

Scarez sorry I gave you a hankering!!!!

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
2 eggs
3 mashed bananas
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream sugar and shortening together, add eggs one at a time, beat well, add the bananas, beat well, add the dry ingredients and vanilla. Beat well
I sift my dry ingredients.
Pour into a well greased loaf pan. Bake @ 350° for about an hr. Toothpick or tester will come out clean when it's done

I sometimes put chopped walnuts in it

Last edited:

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owwhh,, sounds like a winner Dale. I'll give it a try soon. I make a pound cake with sour cream and it always turns out so moist. I'll try and find that recipe and post it later this week.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Laurie, that sounds like a good one too..oh my..I'm going to regret this as I can't turn down a good recipe but I guess I'll have to try both.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I love banana bread...I have a great recipe from my granny I will have to dig out...it is called a bread...but it is more like a cake in tste..

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com