Basics for making cuttings?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

MewMew

Hopefully people will see this so far down in the forums list. XD Can anybody give me some tips for taking cuttings from plants, especially various trees? I'm hoping to move this year and want to try and re-root some cuttings from a few trees around town that I am just in love with but clearly can't take with me. I frankly have no idea what types of trees most are, though I should be able to find pictures of most of them and post them if it would help in giving me advice. ^_^

What time of year is best for taking cuttings? It's currently winter where I am so I imagine now isn't the best time, but how long should I wait after new growth starts before I start trying to reroot cuttings? When it comes time to take cuttings, how should I make the cuts? Straight across or at an angle? Once I apply rooting hormone and place them in a medium how do I care for them to help ensure the best chance of success? I'm currently planning to use Root Riot organic starter cubes with Clonex rooting gel. It seems to have good reviews. I also have some Green Light rooting powder I may try on a few, and if I can get some branches from local willows I may try the willow water method I've read about. Thinking of maybe trying at least one of each plant I want cuttings from in each method and see what results I get from each.

I know I've got a bunch of questions all at once, but I figure with there being at least a couple months before I should start worrying about it, it will give me time to get some info and get an idea of what to do so that hopefully I can take some of my favorite plants from around town with me when I move. ^_^

I have done little in the area of cuttings, but I do have a decent resource in front of me. It is a book titled "Plants-a-Plenty" and I can look up the information for you if I know the species you are interested in.

Actually winter is a good time to take cuttings. Cut the bottom off at an angle and the top straight across so you don't plant them upside-down and put a handful in a sturdy zip-lok bag in the fridge until you're moved. Then plant them in pots of soil at least halfway buried. Not knowing which trees you have is a drawback but some will root, some won't. Good luck. I'd put a clear plastic bag over each pot at least until you see new leaves coming out :)

It's best to cut a good dozen cuttings from each tree or bush!
Doing a dozen ensures you will get at more then one rooting!
Rooting hormone will help!
Best to use a sterile soil-less mix!

Yes, above tips are on target. One thing I would say is to make sure that you use Root tone. It will help aid in quicker rooting. But the Hound id right, some just will not root. So if you give us a list of what you want to root, we could possibly save you some time , effort , adn dissappointment. ;)

Yup, knowing what plant would be good. Forsythia will root almost every time, roses sometimes, oaks not at all.

To do a proper cutting the lower cut should be at an 45* angle with the upper cut being a straight 90*! Doing this will ensure that you are planting the right end up!

There are lots of houseplants that grow from cuttings, the tree that I have had the best luck getting to root are any kind of willow. Rose of sharon will also root in water too

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back