basil pesto

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

Well I've said a few times here that I can't grow enough basil and this year is no different.

Mainly by saying that I mean we eat a lot of pesto, pasta salad with basil, pizza, and well more pesto.

Today I made my first batch of pesto for the season as the plants were getting a little out of control. Two of the plants were almost three feet tall and nearly two feet across - dwarfing the bell peppers nest to them. Overall I harvested almost a pound and a half of basil for pesto today. Less than two weeks ago I pulled a little over half a pound for a pasta salad too.

I now have a flattened zipper bag of pesto in the freezer and a container in the fridge.

So far this year I really only have three plants doing well but I have another three that are starting to come in strong.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I planted some basil into one of my herb barrels, but never saw anything from the seeds. I'm thinking I will try again next year but start the seeds in the greenhouse in March. My daughter loves basil and planted some in a small planter on the kitchen counter, but she only planted once.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do have to say, with all the water we had and then the extreme heat, basil is one thing that is doing well. Glad you are having such great success ;)

mr_yan

Usually by the end of the season the base stem / trunk of my basil plants is woody hard and about 3/4 inches in diameter.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine actually look like trees but continue to grow until a freeze. I have had them come back from the root if it is a light freeze. They are all flowering now so I am saving seeds

mr_yan

I pinch the flowers, as most do also. Mine go until a hard frost too. But around here a hard frost is in the first half of October and normally we get a light frost in mid September.

With some of our winters I am hit or miss with keeping thyme alive in the ground. Basil and rosemary don't have a chance over an Illinois winter.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to let some go to seed and i keep reseeding throughout the season. By the end of fall I have a lot of basil. It make great floral arrangements on the dinner table too. My house will smell of basil when I cut it and put in in a vase. That's one reason I let it flower

Wombat

Basil's one of my favourite herbs to grow. I try and plant as many varieties as I can as they self seed year after year. Thai, cinnamon, genovese giant, lemon, lime, opal and purple ruffles are the ones I love. Yum it makes me thing of basil buttered prawns done on the bbq.......hurry up summer so I can grow them!

woodstock

I propagated all those when I worked at a greenhouse......

I always have problems when I grow basil.....it grows ok for a while, then dies...
my favorite pesto is spinach pesto.....its yummy on chicken, pork or fish.....geez come to think of it, its yummy on anything.....

mr_yan

I really need to expand my cooking range. Lately we've been on a paella kick - but chicken only due to seafood and rabbit cost.

Other than pesto and pasta salads (noodles, chopped tomato, chopped basil, capers, olive oil, and a splash of redwine vinegar) what are some recipes where you can really push basil?

Grilled prawns sounds really good too - now I'm wishing for a sale at the grocer's.

Wombat

Yeah you're right M/s B it is yummy with a lot of things, especially the different flavoured ones;)
mr_yan: This is a yummy recipe that uses a lot of easily grown veggies from my garden.:)

Linguine with garlic prawns & basil
Ingredients (serves 4)
1 pkt dry linguine pasta
2 tbs extra light olive oil
1 1/2 lbs green king prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
1 large fresh red chilli, deseeded or not if you like some heat, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
5 ripe medium tomatoes, finely chopped
6 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
1/2 cup finely shredded fresh basil
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente, drain well. Meanwhile, heat 2 tsp of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the prawns and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until prawns curl and just change colour. Add the chilli and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
Add the pasta, tomato, green shallot and basil to the prawns and gently toss until well combined and heated through. Drizzle with the remaining oil and gently toss until well combined. Divide linguine among serving bowls and season with salt and pepper. Serve asap.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com