Bathroom Cleaners

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

swindy

To clean the soap scum from the shower or tub spray it with a laundry stain remover ( Spray and Wash) let it sit a bit, wipe it down and then rinse the tub really well. works like a charm, better then the regular bathroom cleaners.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great tip and I am going to try it. You must have known I am house cleaning today and need to scrub the tubs.

plantlover

I keep a sponge and a bottle of cheap Suave shampoo in my bathroom, and whenever I'm in the shower, I use it to clean the shower walls and the tub. The bottle costs less than $2.00 and will last for several years. That way, I never have a problem with soap scum build up and I never have to take the time to clean the tub or shower. I also use the shampoo to do a quick swish of the toilet if it needs some fast cleaning.

I keep a bottle of Windex (generic works fine,) and a roll of paper towels in my bathroom. I use that to wipe the sink, mirror and around the toilet. By doing that almost every day, I never have to spend a long time trying to get my sink clean. When I do my regular bathroom cleaning, typically, all I have to do is empty the trash and sweep and mop the floor.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found out when I watched a movie about a Greek wedding that Windex is good for a lot of things.

DizzyDaff

Disenfectant

Best disenfectant I know of for cleaning - peroxide. I buy it by the huge bottles for cleaning bathrooms, toilets & kitchen. It will eat mold or mildew in a heartbeat - And no nasty odors from it either. ;)

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mix half cup of Vinegar and 1 cup of water in a spray bottle to clean glass and mirrors. It doesn't leave streaks, it's cheap and cleans glass to a sparkling shine.

Soap scum build up on shower doors? I spray with WD-40, let it set for 10 minutes and wipe. WD-40 is good for lots of things.. if only the maker would add a nice fragrance to the formula!

Dor

I found out when I watched a movie about a Greek wedding that Windex is good for a lot of things.

I saw that movie too Randy "My big fat Greek Wedding" is the name.lol

I use bleach in my toilets to disenfect and I saw on tv to a baking soak and water paste to clean your refrigerator.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's the one, Miss Dorothy. My brother and his wife had us sit down and watch it with them when we were visiting in California. I thought it was hilarious.

Kya D

OMG the very best thing for sting or bug bites is Generic Windex. I am pretty sure it is just the AMMONIA in it

Dor

That's the one, Miss Dorothy. My brother and his wife had us sit down and watch it with them when we were visiting in California. I thought it was hilarious.

I really like that movie Randy, so much so that I bought the DVD.

plantlover

OMG the very best thing for sting or bug bites is Generic Windex. I am pretty sure it is just the AMMONIA in it

Funny you should say that Dawn. Just last week, I was looking at a product in the grocery store that's supposedly "pharmacist recommended," and it's called "After Bite." When I looked at the active ingredients in the roll on bottle, it was just what I thought would be there: 100% ammonia -- and NOTHING else. Now, if only I could figure out how to put ammonia in a roll on bottle....I'd just buy the generic stuff at the store and pour it in my own bottle. I do use it on bites all the time -- just put some ammonia on a cotton ball and rub the cotton ball on the bite.

I don't know why, but for some reason, the bugs are always eating me, and there's never any let up!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
You've got those bloomin' little chiggers down there too. I sure don't miss those things. Susan, we can lie down on the grass without using a blanket and never have to worry about chiggers.

GardenBear1

I use ammonia water in a spray bottle and clean the tub and sink,mirrors and shower doors to keep every thing clean I use bleach to clean the toilet

Annette99

I started using baby wipes to wipe down my leather living room furniture(have a child care business) the wipes like swiffer dust cloths can be thrown in with your white laundry, bleached and thrown in the dryer and used over and over again

Spider_Lily

W-D-40 is good for cleaning soap scum on shower door's.We use it all the time with our housecleaning.Good to clean stainless too:)

swindy

spider I wish I knew about WD40 on shower doors when I had them. It was such a pain to clean them and it seemed that what ever I used I could never cut through the build up on the glass.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mix half cup of Vinegar and 1 cup of water in a spray bottle to clean glass and mirrors. It doesn't leave streaks, it's cheap and cleans glass to a sparkling shine.

Soap scum build up on shower doors? I spray with WD-40, let it set for 10 minutes and wipe. WD-40 is good for lots of things.. if only the maker would add a nice fragrance to the formula!

I posted this earlier and wanted to add, you can also use WD-40 to clean leather as it doesn't have the "slip and slide' of oil. I've also used it to polish wood furniture, give a slight glow to wood floors and tiles. The only thing I don't like is the "mechanical" odor it has.

Last edited:

oma2

Peroxide for mold who would have thought! I have some on my grout. I'll give it a try!
Peroxide can also be used to remove ear wax by just pouring a capful into the ear lay on your side for a quick 15 minute break and wait till the fizzing stops. It works too!

swindy

Oma I am going to have to try the proxide for my ears. At my last visit to the doctor I was given a prescription for something to brake up the ear wax. When I took it to Walmart the Phamisist asked me if I really wanted it as it cost $400.00 and change. I told him I would use an ice pick before I paid that price. LOL Thanks for the tip.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com