Bonsai tree is passing away. help?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

bonsaifailure

My housmate asked me to take care of her bonsai tree. The problem is the tree was dying so she asked me to take it to 'plant doctor' or something as she can't do it herself becouse she's leaving for a month :/ . I know nothing about bonsai trees and i dont think theres such a thing as bonsai doctor anywhere around where i live. and I don't even know what kind (strain?) of a tree that is so i can't google how to cure it. I thought maybe some experienced members of this forums can take a look at photos and determine kind of a tree and possible solutions.

problem: All leaves are turning brown and falling off. barely few green leaves left.

im holding it on a kitchen table where it gets few hours of sunshine per day at most (the days are rarely sunny at this time) . and watering it 1-2 times a day. ( 1/4 glass of water at a time). I don't know if thats alright, my housmate didnt give me much instructions and the only houseplant i was taking care of was a freakin cactus 10 years ago.

Heres the ugly bastard:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It does look sad!
You a are watering it way too much and too frequently......let the soil surface dry a bit before your re-water....make sure the pot is not sitting in water!
Place closer to a bright window....the more light/sun it gets the better it will respond at this time of the year.
Check under the leaves for tiny specks and fine webbing.....could be spider mites, which cause leaves to change color and look mottled.
The real issue is soggy soil!!!

bonsaifailure

hmmm... i've read elsewhere about watering bonsai and it said that soil needs a lot of water and it recommended water in tray to keep humidity around the plant. It even advised this 'immersion' method where you literally put the roots into a bucket of water and hold it for a while until its fully soaked in water. Are you sure im watering it too much?? should i only water it 3-4 times a week or so?

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, from the photos, the soil looks way too wet. Constantly soggy soil lacks the air that the roots require. Root rot maybe the reason the tree is losing its leaves and not producing replacements....Placing stones in the tray to elevate the pot so it is not sitting in the water is recommended.....yes, the tray will help create a more humid environment, as does misting the foliage.....
Still wondering about what species the tree is, knowing the name would help in the culture and care needed!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait until you get the watering frequency down pat.
Do you have an east facing window? Morning sun would be perfect....

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com