Bright True Orange Rose

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Acacius48

Hello everyone!
I was just curious of anyone knows or is growing a true orange rose bush. I see those beautiful bright neon orange cut roses at the flower shops but never really seen a rose bush with those flowers in person. My profile picture is a picture of a cut orange rose I got... it was so gorgeous with a wonderful smell. The picture just does not do it justice to the bright vivid orange it was.

Do you know of any ? It may be a while before I get the chance to actually grow one. I have been on this search and was curious what everyone had to say. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Vanessa

P.S. If you do have an orange bush rose... I would love to see it! Or any of your favorite rose bushes. hehe.

Wombat

Hi I only know of one offhand it's called crackling fire and starts out deep orange and fades to apricot

latebloomer

There are two that I know of but haven't been able to get locally " Tropicana" a bright crayon orange floribunda and "Vavoom" an orange juice colored hybrid tea.

p.s. if you ever get one,think of me for cuttings or a start please?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a neglected Tropicana out by the barn. I always liked that one and had a really nice one at the house we lived in before we moved here.

Acacius48

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions!

Have you guys ever grown roses in a containers? I am very curious if anyone has experience with container growing roses. I do have one in a container ... it is a no id yellow miniature so far so good. It is really weird though when I bought it was yellow with red edges ... now it just blooms all yellow. Any one know what is going on with that? Is it something I am doing wrong... or did they water it with red dye or something? haha It really gots me puzzled.

Ohhh... I am just drooling over these beauties! I really like the Tropicana and the Crackling Fire.

Randy do Tropicana blooms start off really bright orange and then changes to pinkish as it matures? How is the smell? Strong or light?

Wombat

Hi Acacius I have 3 in containers but I'm no expert I can tell you lol. Maybe it's started to grow from below the graft? I think they're called sports from memory. I don't have much experience with roses so maybe someone else will be able to solve it for you.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vanessa, I am not sure about the fragrance. I can sniff one when we get some blooms later on. As far as the color change, they maintain their color pretty well until they go the way of all blossoms and they will pale at that time.

K

Kale

Here is Tropicana one from the front that I saved and it bloomed 1st time in 07,he is still puny but his blooms are fabulous!
the back one is a climber that bloomed several times with rest between on only 3 of the 7 stems the 4 that didnt bloom just kept growing until I finnally cut it to 4 feet from about 8ft.
The smell like almost all my roses are breath taking.He is sweet and gentle with a smell of warm soft harmony.I don't recall him loosing his scent during his living cycle.
He is a true keeper.Pinata on the other hand isn't much to loosing yourself in another world for a few moments unless you do it visually! He is stunningly gorgeous turns various colors and shapes as he ages.Irreplaceable for Certain.
I have Josephs coat also he is my little avatar.Not quite what I expected after all the years I looked for him locally. But he is a charmer,not much for scent a little sweet,he too you need to appreciated just a few petals,which he is weaning me on *LOL
I'm more of a 35 petal lover with blooms 4-6 inches across and a scent to sweep you off your feet for moments at a time*LOL
Don't take me wrong! I love many many roses! but the scented ones have my heart always:)

Enjoy.
But I would love to know who that real ORANGE rose is!

Kale:)

Attachments

• Tropicana back 08.jpg
    Tropicana back 08.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 415
  • TROP oct21 tropican.jpg
    TROP oct21 tropican.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 418
  • TROPICANIA BLOOMED 2nd time2007.jpg
    TROPICANIA BLOOMED 2nd time2007.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 430
  • Pinata08..jpg
    Pinata08..jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 466
K

Kale

I just thought of this one! My daughter planted a "pink peace". (2001) every year she is a different color (Hybrid Tea beautiful,fragrant) I actually bought 4 since then trying to get it *LOL
I end up with the Pink Peace that is not like hers.:eek:

Here is one color she gets.Every bloom even durring the year is a different color, it is a wonderful plant that has a genetic thing going on *LOL
The orangish one is hers mine is the radiant Pink.ON my(just saw my post.) the light pink is hers from the same rose plant deep pink is mine and now I'm going to get the oranginsh one!*LOL I promise you those 2 blooms came from the same plant!

Attachments

• Kitty PEACE ROSE .jpg
    Kitty PEACE ROSE .jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 392
  • Pink Peace 08.Frontjpg.jpg
    Pink Peace 08.Frontjpg.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 411
  • MYKitty Rose.jpg
    MYKitty Rose.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 377
Last edited by a moderator:

Acacius48

Hi Kale! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful pictures and info. I really like the Tropicana.

Wow that is interesting how the Pink Peace produces such different blooms! Haha. It has a mind of its own... or many minds! hehe.

I am wondering what the orange rose I bought from the florist is too... I have never seen a rose bush with that vivid bright all orange rose. It opened up perfectly and the smell was so wonderful! I made it a point to smell it at least a couple of times a day. Hehe. Has anyone propagated roses from cut flowers? I am wondering if I would be able to do it with it. I know some say it is possible, if it wasn't waxed. I dont mind not having a name if I could have that color and fragrance to enjoy! hehe.

Sincerely,
Vanessa

Acacius48

Thank you Kya! wow that is another pretty one. Hehe. Another to add to the list!

Sincerely,
Vanessa

097-1.jpg

A bigger picture of the cut flower... mmm.. I can almost still smell it! Haha

K

Kale

You are quite welcomed.:)

I am trying to root several of these that made it from my valentine arrangement that I put together.(long story)

Anyway, do these look the same as yours Vanessa?

Too bad I didn't know how to set the camera for that room!
Not the best of shots..
I also ended up with about 28 reds and several unknowns (one) that is still blooming.I am trying my hand in the rooting of them the unknowns.

I have rooted a rose from a cutting, then sat it in a try (outdoors it rained) and before I knew it, it rotted. Completely forgot to take it out :( pretty sad.They were reds.

I meant to tell you..I have Strike It Rich (gorgeous!!!) at the English Gazebo Rose garden that I care for I posted pics in English Gardens...

Attachments

• Vase cuttings feb 09..jpg
    Vase cuttings feb 09..jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 397

Acacius48

Ohh... that is a pretty arrangement! You made it? You did an awesome job! :)The orange rose in it does look a lot like the one I got.

I would love to hear updates on rooting your cut roses! I have tried to root a couple of times with out success... but I think know what I was doing wrong (at least I hope LOL :confused:). Do you have any tips or tricks on how to root roses?

I am going to go peak in the English Gardens to check out Strike it rich!!

Sincerely,
Vanessa

Acacius48

Gardenbear thank you so much for the link! I am browsing around it now... got to wipe up my drool. hehe. The prices are really good! Were you happy with the orders you placed with them in the past?

K

Kale

Ohh... that is a pretty arrangement! You made it? You did an awesome job! :)The orange rose in it does look a lot like the one I got.

I would love to hear updates on rooting your cut roses! I have tried to root a couple of times with out success... but I think know what I was doing wrong (at least I hope LOL :confused:). Do you have any tips or tricks on how to root roses?

I am going to go peak in the English Gardens to check out Strike it rich!!

Sincerely,
Vanessa

Thank you! And happy you liked it:) Arranging is another passion of mine:D:D I actually took hours of making about 15+ arrangements (all supplies from my gardens) that can be hung indoors or outdoors for birds or vase kept for a while then dried. Some had herbs and the ones that you can dry would have given you seed to actually plant. I wrote up instruction with recipes and gave it to a Hummm hummmmmmm Garden Center to sell. I wanted to check up on them but.......Hubby kept telling me to not call or bother them, to let them just sell, that they will call me*LOL!!!!!!!!!
A week of pulling y hair out I went to see what the story was to my extremely sadden surprise they were torn apart and all the beautiful cutting and herbs were gone! The lovely lady *didn't know how to tie an arrangement.*LOL She had to nerve to tell me they didn't sell anything my paper work was under the register dirty with coffee stains and I was totally devastated. They were puny junk when I took them back I was going to just throw them in the garbage right in front of her but instead I took them home stared at them in my hands and cried..Hubby then said if you want to make money you have to do it on your own *WOW do you think!??
LOL No kidden Charlie!
True story the worse part is my battery went dead and the pics I did get were all blurry and I couldn't go back there to take more:(
Now that I think of it Hubby owns me *LOL

Here a few blurry ones...
Go get tissue.... next will be what I got back...
Just thinking about it :(

Attachments

• arrange.jpg
    arrange.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 370
  • arran stor.jpg
    arran stor.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 373
  • arrangestore .jpg
    arrangestore .jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 389

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com