Bucket of Bran Muffins

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
1 15 oz. box of raisin bran (I use cheap brand)
4 beaten eggs
1 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups of sugar (or less)
1 quart buttermilk
5 c. flour
5 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt

Mix flour, raisin bran, sugar, salt and baking soda in large bowl. Add eggs, shortening and buttermilk. Mix well and put batter in air tight container. Will keep several weeks in refrigerator.

Spray muffin papers then fill 2/3 full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Don't overbake. Makes about 60 muffins. Freeze well.

Note: These muffins are great with Strawberry Butter

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are welcome Dawn. I posted the Strawberry Butter recipe that is wonderful with those mufffins.

Dor

Thank you Dale for the wonderful muffins. I have to try them when I go to Arkansas and we have a crowd otherwise I will cut the recipe down.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking that would be a winner for baking a bunch for finals week over at the university. My daughter Fiona has prepared care packages of finger foods for the students for finals week. This year, she has the interest of the women of the church to help prepare those care packages. Those muffins sound like just the ticket for something like that.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy spray the muffin papers with cooking spray so the muffin won't stick to the paper. Also to save on expenses you can use frozen strawberry's or strawberry preserves to give it the strawberry taste. Sometimes the butter doesn't mix smooth so it doesn't look well for a presentation to a group that has never had strawberry butter. Good luck, let me know they do.

I also take my banana bread recipe and put in muffin tins. That works well also.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a batch of strawberry jam that I didn't use enough pectin in. It's a bit more fluid that the usual jam and I could use that. I have at least a full case of that batch. Makes good ice cream topping, but I rarely have ice cream any more. LOL

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way, Miss Dorothy, I would love to have you living close enough to where we could swap stories on grandkids, cooking and all that and get to sit down with families and just enjoy each other.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy I would try substituting the strawberry jam for the fresh strawberries. It might be a little loose but maybe could add fresh strawberries. You will just have to play it by ear to see how it works out. But since you refrigerate the Strawberry Butter that should help it stay firmer. Might even be easier to spread on a muffin being a little less firm. Let us know how it turned out. Inquring minds want to know.

Dor

By the way, Miss Dorothy, I would love to have you living close enough to where we could swap stories on grandkids, cooking and all that and get to sit down with families and just enjoy each other.

That would be great Randy, but we have to settle for sharing the way we do now. I have formed great friendship via Garden forums. I had one of my good friends over today with her grandson and I had my granddaughter. We have been friends since my youngest daughter was six months ago and she will be 29 in June. We have a great vist and lunch. I had cooked pinto beans, cornbread and smothered pork chops last night.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have often daydreamed about all the cyber friends living close enough to see each other, but it's just a daydream. I have been able to meet a few in person though. There are a couple close and I will most likely get to meet the Oregon mudpie before the year is over.

richnkim

1 15 oz. box of raisin bran (I use cheap brand)
4 beaten eggs
1 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups of sugar (or less)
1 quart buttermilk
5 c. flour
5 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt

Mix flour, raisin bran, sugar, salt and baking soda in large bowl. Add eggs, shortening and buttermilk. Mix well and put batter in air tight container. Will keep several weeks in refrigerator.

Spray muffin papers then fill 2/3 full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Don't overbake. Makes about 60 muffins. Freeze well.

Note: These muffins are great with Strawberry Butter

My husband will love these!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miss Dale, I picked up the Raisin Bran today to have on hand for finals week, but I have a few weeks to wait yet. Maybe I should do a batch in the meantime. LOL I checked that strawberry jam and I think I can use it without changing anything.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a plan to me Randy!!! RichnKim hope your husband likes them

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miss Dale, I did some thinking last evening after signing off and I will have trouble with the strawberry jam. It is put up in pint jars. Since all the goodies will be put into bags for individuals, I'm thinking I should go to the restaurant supply and buy those little individual servings of jam/jelly like you see in the breakfast places. I can use sandwich bags to hold a couple of the muffins and pop a couple of those little jam packets in the bag with them.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is a good idea Randy. Those packs of jelly are reasonably priced. Hope the muffins do well for you.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had another thought today while I was in the kitchen. I'll bet I could make an opening in the top and inject some of that strawberry jam with a cake decorating implement.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy if I was going to inject some type of sweetened jam etc. why don't you ask David what they use at the bakery. I bet a Bavarian cream or that cream icing that isn't sweet that is made with whipping cream might be nice. At Sam's they have an icing in the frozen foods (I believe it is) that you use for icing a cake etc. Put the filling inside the bran muffin like you would a donut. If you did that the strawberry butter might do well as the filling.

swindy

Randy if you are going to a restaurant supply place look for the little plastic cups and lids. They are called PC's - Portion control cups you can buy a sleeve of cups and a sleeve of lids and then do your Strawberry butter and put it in the cups with the lid on and that should stay fine and the butter will be soft enough to spread. The PC cups come in different ounce sizes. The 1 oz size would be good for the butter. If you inject anything into the little sealed jelly packets, that can be taken as "Product tampering" Just a thought.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, if I bought the jelly packets, I wouldn't alter them at all. I do have a lot of those little plastic portion cups though already. I use them for mixing small batches of epoxides for sticking stuff together. I use those wooden coffee stirrers to mix the mix the epoxy with the amine resin. Any injecting would be done right into the muffin using a process like filling Twinkies. But if the jelly packets come in a small enough carton, I will go that route.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com