Bugs eating Idaho Locust leaves

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like it could be leaf cutters or hoppers. I am not at all familiar with the Idaho Locust so I am not sure if there is a pest specific to the plant. Without know what the pest is , it is hard to recommend an action.
So I am assuming you have not seen anything hanging out on the tree?

prr

If by "hanging out," you mean bugs or a new cocoon of some kind, then, correct, I haven't seen anything new.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely leaf cutting bees!
There is nothing to do about it since they are beneficial insects!

Bannetsmith

It's a common problem in these days and and peoples much worried due to this problem i think use of spray which are used to remove these days are effective. We should use spray when weather was change.If we follow this tip it will be effective for us..

prr

Actually, Ron said they are beneficial. In fact, you can only tell of their presence up close, by seeing the shape of the cuts in the leaves. But they sure haven't hurt the tree's growth, or the number of leaves (wikipedia says they are great for pollination). So I'd rather not pump a poisonous spray for something that doesn't need to be eradicated.

It's a common problem in these days and and peoples much worried due to this problem i think use of spray which are used to remove these days are effective. We should use spray when weather was change.If we follow this tip it will be effective for us..

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the decline in the honey bee population native bees play a very important role in the pollenation of flowering plants!
There are several native species and most do not form colonies like honey bees but are solitary!
Leaf cutting bees are one of them and line their nursery tubes with certain species of plant leaves to protect the eggs and larvae!
One species uses leaves from rose species, others locust leaves.
Each species of bee pollenate certain plants and one of them is the locust!
This relationship benefits the plant and the bees!
So the best thing gardeners can do is to leave it be, and learn from this inter relationship between the native bees and the plants they use!!!!

Bradeen

i have also faced this problem two months ago then i have knowledge about it how to treat these but after joining this discussion board i have some information and knowledge how to treat these bug and how can i remove these from my house and garden .We just need to carry one.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com