Building a Framework for 4ft Growlights!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron,
I will tak a pic ! I have to go buy light tubes today if I can find them. Usually wal mart has them.Hope I get it together this weekend. If I had the room I would def bring in the other lights. My toms did sprout either yesterday or day before. they look like little green hairs.

farmerlon

I set up some grow lights a few weeks ago; and I thought I would share what I used, becuase the set-up was very easy and quick (and very cheap if you have the materials lying around).
For the main "frame", I used one of those Plastic Utility Shelf units that you can find at any big box hardware store. It's a 5-shelf unit, about 3 ft wide, and stands about 6ft tall.
The local Lowe's sells those 4ft "Shop Lights" for $10.00 ... those were so easy to use, because they have chains included, and a 5ft cable with the grounded plug (no wiring required). The shelves are slotted, so it's super-quick to attach the chain to the shelf with a Cable Tie (no drilling, no extra hardware... zip! )
The Shop Lights are a little wider than the Shelf Unit, but it doesn't bother me to let them hang out the sides a little bit.

For someone that doesn't want to take the time to build wooden shelving or supports; I think this is a quick and easy way to go. Plus, it gives you a lot of space for seedling trays, using a minimal area of floor space.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Lon ,
Welcome! Nice tips you shared.

Ron,
I was going to go pick up the lights this morning but the rain is just crazy. I hope to get them this weekend.
My heirloom toms sprouted (Suprize)and I can't get the temp above 60 consistantly in the plant room.( Elec bill was $300 last month trying)I have a commercial grow light in there but warmth is the problem. I will be doing my laundry room lights this weekend. But you still didn't tell me where I an supposed to do laundry once I take over the laundry room? LOL!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Lon ,
Welcome! Nice tips you shared.

Ron,
I was going to go pick up the lights this morning but the rain is just crazy. I hope to get them this weekend.
My heirloom toms sprouted (Suprize)and I can't get the temp above 60 consistantly in the plant room.( Elec bill was $300 last month trying)I have a commercial grow light in there but warmth is the problem. I will be doing my laundry room lights this weekend. But you still didn't tell me where I an supposed to do laundry once I take over the laundry room? LOL!

Post a photo and I might come up with an idea!

GardenBear1

Ron, I like the way your lights look, I would like to do some thing like that in my basement for my epies and other cactus would make life easier for me, Thanks for sharing

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Bear!
I thought about giving it a coat of white paint to clean it up. I never got to that point, since I will be taking it apart in a few months, and store it away in the basement 'til next year! I have a lot of seeds to start in the next couple of days!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com