Building a Framework for 4ft Growlights!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Ron,
I will tak a pic ! I have to go buy light tubes today if I can find them. Usually wal mart has them.Hope I get it together this weekend. If I had the room I would def bring in the other lights. My toms did sprout either yesterday or day before. they look like little green hairs.

I set up some grow lights a few weeks ago; and I thought I would share what I used, becuase the set-up was very easy and quick (and very cheap if you have the materials lying around).
For the main "frame", I used one of those Plastic Utility Shelf units that you can find at any big box hardware store. It's a 5-shelf unit, about 3 ft wide, and stands about 6ft tall.
The local Lowe's sells those 4ft "Shop Lights" for $10.00 ... those were so easy to use, because they have chains included, and a 5ft cable with the grounded plug (no wiring required). The shelves are slotted, so it's super-quick to attach the chain to the shelf with a Cable Tie (no drilling, no extra hardware... zip! )
The Shop Lights are a little wider than the Shelf Unit, but it doesn't bother me to let them hang out the sides a little bit.

For someone that doesn't want to take the time to build wooden shelving or supports; I think this is a quick and easy way to go. Plus, it gives you a lot of space for seedling trays, using a minimal area of floor space.

Hi Lon ,
Welcome! Nice tips you shared.

Ron,
I was going to go pick up the lights this morning but the rain is just crazy. I hope to get them this weekend.
My heirloom toms sprouted (Suprize)and I can't get the temp above 60 consistantly in the plant room.( Elec bill was $300 last month trying)I have a commercial grow light in there but warmth is the problem. I will be doing my laundry room lights this weekend. But you still didn't tell me where I an supposed to do laundry once I take over the laundry room? LOL!

Hi Lon ,
Welcome! Nice tips you shared.

Ron,
I was going to go pick up the lights this morning but the rain is just crazy. I hope to get them this weekend.
My heirloom toms sprouted (Suprize)and I can't get the temp above 60 consistantly in the plant room.( Elec bill was $300 last month trying)I have a commercial grow light in there but warmth is the problem. I will be doing my laundry room lights this weekend. But you still didn't tell me where I an supposed to do laundry once I take over the laundry room? LOL!

Post a photo and I might come up with an idea!

Ron, I like the way your lights look, I would like to do some thing like that in my basement for my epies and other cactus would make life easier for me, Thanks for sharing

Thanks Bear!
I thought about giving it a coat of white paint to clean it up. I never got to that point, since I will be taking it apart in a few months, and store it away in the basement 'til next year! I have a lot of seeds to start in the next couple of days!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back