Cafeteria Roll

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dor

This is a recipe that my mom has made for over 40 years and it is still the best tasting rolls I have eaten. This makes 120 large or 160 small rolls. The last time I mad them I cut it down to 1/4 recipe.

Cafeteria Rolls

3/4 cup yeast
1/4 cup salt
2 1/2 cup sugar
3 cups powdered milk

3 cups melted shortening
6 eggs
2 3/4 cups warm water
10 lbs flour

In a large mixing bowl add first four indregients. Add warm water and let sit 10 minutes. Add shortening, eggs then flour and mix well. Use a wooden spoon, you can also use your dough hook and that will save on your kneeding time.

Turn out and kneed on a floured surface until it is not longer sticky. Place in a greased bowl turning once to coat. Cover with a warm damp towel and let rise until doubled. Punch dough down and put on a floured surface. Pinch off into rolls or roll 1 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Let rise for 1 hour or until doubled. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter the last 5 minutes.

Last edited:

richnkim

Oh, I love those Cafeteria Rolls, Dor. I agree Anette, mom's recipes are the best.

About 20 years ago, we had a family reunion that we (my cousin and I), made a "Family Recipe Book. We sent everyone a letter and had them send us their favorite recipe. It was really good. My grandmother (moms side) had already passed and my mom gave me some of her recipes that she had written down. It was really neat to have them in our book in her own writing. I have one for her "Spud Donuts"!

Dor, I will look this afternoon for the recipe for "Cowboy Bread".

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That brought back a memory of the "Spudnut" bakery in our neighborhood in California. They had the spudnut maker where you could see it working and making the spudnuts. I never could taste that they were any different than a regular donut but that has been over 50 years ago too.

Dor

You are all welcome. I think I will make a batch for Easter Sunday. I have never frozen these. I wonder how they would come out. Has anyone ever make the rolls and rolled them out then put in the freezer. I really would like to try it. I may make a half batch and freeze 1/4 of them before baking.

Dor

I have bought them frozen before KyaD. I am going to try one dozen first and see how they turn out before I make a large bath. My mother used to make pie crust in large batches and rolled them into a ball and froze them, all my sisters and I had to do was thaw as many as we needed and roll. They were so delicious.

Dor

Yes it is KyaD. She rolled the pie crust in balls and put on a cookie sheet until frozen. Once frozen they went into plastic bags. I would get enough to last me the entire year, including holidays. My sister got the same amount. My mother has a huge commercial mixer that sits on the floor on a platform my brother built on her enclosed back porch.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com