Can I move this one plant with reddish-green flowers over to my Idaho Locust?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

Sorry for the lame thread title, but I have no idea what this plant is called. It is currently growing in two locations in a flower bed in between rose bushes, and it has already overgrown one rose and pretty much killed it off. I was thinking how beautiful the green/red leaves are, but I hate the possibility of it happening to another of the rose bushes there. I have an Idaho Locust that is by itself (the weeds have already been sprayed, so they will be removed--I almost wanted to photoshop those suckers out but I'm too lazy). Could I transplant those plants from the flower bed, near the Idaho Locust? Also, if anyone can ID that greenish red plant I'd appreciate it.

20190411_153241.jpg20190411_153250.jpg20190411_153341.jpg

In transplanting them, in case you can't tell, the Idaho Locust has a well of dirt about 5-7 feet in diameter; outside those bricks are gravel, so the plants would have to grow inside that little well there.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Paul! You seem very determined to move these shrubs!
First thing to do is prune them back by one third of there total growth..
You can give them a nice shape, and also remove any dead stems.
Then give them a deep soaking to hydrate the root system. Give them a few days to recover then you can move them!
Remember to prepare the area you are moving them to.....btw What spray did you use to kill off the grasses....hope it is not round-up.
Not sure of the species...could be a type of spirea...do they bloom?
If so what do the flowers look like...singles or clusters?

prr

Thanks for the tips. OK I will prune them back by 1/3, then give them a deep soak BEFORE I move them

(1) When you say "prepare the area," what do you mean--I was just thinking of digging a hole deep enough to handle the roots, then transplanting the shrubs, then watering it heavily the first few days after the new planting. Should I do more?

(2) It wasn't roundup, but it was Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns.

(3) When you say flowers, if you are talking about the shrubs, there aren't any flowers, just very deeply colored leaves.

prr

Hmmm now that I've done about 3/4 of the pruning, I'm beginning to think they look good where they are. They overwhelmed one of the roses b/c I didn't prune them before.

OK Ron, if I let them stay where they are, if they promise to behave--giving them an annual pruning wouldn't hurt them, would it? They would have all the room to grow by the Idaho Locust, but transplanting them after several years probably wouldn't be too good for their health...

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm beginning to think they look good where they are.
LOL!
Thought you might change your mind! :) It really is a lot less work to just prune them back lightly once a year rather then moving them! Haha! :)
When I mentioned "preparing the area"...I should have mentioned adding as much compost and other organic matter you can!
Your shrub is definitely not a spirea then...need a close up of the stems and leaves to do a good search!
.....nice to see you locust is doing well....still need to add the soil amendments to keep it healthy and happy! ...you can do the same for your gardens...you will notice a difference after adding just compost...more is always better when it comes to healthy soil and happy plants!

prr

OK, one last thing. Since I've already pruned them, I do want to give it a big dose of water like you said...

I have not yet added my triple 15 or 13 yet (fertilizer). Should I wait a few days, or can I add the fertilizer right before watering? Or does it matter?

prr

Well don't worry, I went ahead and applied some fertilizer before watering the flower bed heavily.

Hey thanks again for giving me some advice!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are very welcome Paul!
Using fertilizer is great as an extra!
I strongly believe adding a layer of organic matter to flower beds and vegetable growing areas every year helps improve the carbon content of the soil...it boosts microbial activity as well as beneficial fungal and organisms!
You will need less fertilizer too.
The results are amazing since healthy plants develop higher resistance to diseases.

prr

I will do just that. I have already collected all those leaves and branches that I pruned, plus a few years worth of leaves that were already there, into plastic bags. I will take out my power mower and in a few mins, create my own home made mulch. I have 3 or 4 13 gallon bags worth of stuff, I will use it on the top of the flower bed, and if there is any left over, on top of the well where I have my Idaho locust. The Idaho Locust is just starting to blossom. It looks like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree most of the year, but for 2-3 weeks we get the most beautiful tree in our entire region.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love it! Please post photos! Love to see it in bloom! Please take a close-up photo of you red leaf shrub...I would like to id it for you!

prr

OK I don't know if these are better than the first ones I posted, but I went out just now and took a few more shots. I emailed them to myself at original size, so they are as big as they can be. If they aren't big enough in the forum thread here, perhaps it is adjusting the size? Let me know if you need a better angle, or different shot. If I could have it IDed that would be nice.

Attachments

• 20190413_100204.jpg
    20190413_100204.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 20190413_100247.jpg
    20190413_100247.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 20190413_100241.jpg
    20190413_100241.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 276
  • 20190413_100224.jpg
    20190413_100224.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 20190413_100219.jpg
    20190413_100219.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 264
  • 20190413_100209.jpg
    20190413_100209.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 261

prr

Judging from the leaves, they don't look too happy about the pruning, but they sure aren't overly drooping or sagging. I think given the fertilizer, steer manure, & big watering I gave them yesterday, they'll be fine. The soil around the plants is still a dark brown from the water not having dissipated yet.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I'll copy and post it on one of the garden forums on Facebook....someone should know what it is.....I have an idea but can't put my finger on it.. Question: has it ever bloomed? If it did they may be small and insignificant and you may not have noticed

prr

I sincerely doubt it has ever bloomed. I do not care for these in a very meticulous manner, but I'm sure if it did, my wife would have noticed it. even if I missed it. But we've had it for a several years, and never seen any bloom.

Thanks for posting those photos.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is Nandina maybe "Firepower" Do a search for culture and care. It does flower, but they are so tiny and you would need to look very close to find them! :)

prr

Thanks. I looked up a few sites on Nandina.

I think I see why I've never seen red berries--sites are saying that they tend only to blossom when in groups, not in individual plants. I these specimens I have are two plants separated by two rosebushes. I like the name "Heavenly Bamboo." They really are nice, and now I know that I can just give them an annual pruning--should have tried that years ago. Oh well live and learn.

They also say they are very hardy, so I will just continue to water it with my roses.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I strive to learn at least one new thing per day...especially with garden plants....eventually you will become and expert! :)

prr

Here are a couple of pics I took this morning. It isn't as full as it does get, but it obviously has started to bloom.

I have to admit if I knew it would only bloom for 2 weeks a year, I probably would have planted something else, but man I do enjoy these 2 weeks a year! Such a deep, beautiful pinkish purple...

Attachments

• IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    653.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1774.JPG
    IMG_1774.JPG
    530.6 KB · Views: 254

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes! It is worth the wait to see the blooms ever though they are for 2 weeks!
In one of my garden,s when I was living in the city, I planted a magnolia....simply breathtaking for the 2 weeks when it bloomed!
There are many more that are outstanding, but fleeting spring bloomers.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com