Can pumpkins grow in containers?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

etow

I'm looking to add more plants to my new container garden, and I was wondering if Early Sweet Sugar Pie Pumpkins (by Burpee) can grow inside of a 10 or 15 gallon container. Is that enough room for the roots to grow? I've never grown pumpkins before, and I'm not really looking to grow any big ones.

Hi Etow!
Welcome to our forum!
Nice to see someone experimenting!
This is what you need to know about pumpkins, as well as any squash, they send roots down at each leaf node along the stems. as they grow.
That means you will need to give the plants a lot of room to grow and root!
Since the seed you selected is a early variety the vines will grow/spread a good 8ft.
You might have a problem with using the 10-15 gallon containers.
Pumpkins are greedy feeders, and love a constant level of moisture. You will need to water them frequently!
Do you use a drip irrigation system?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back