Can you identify my rose?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Thanks Kale for all the good directions. I am printing them for my records. I think I saw 1 1/2 instead of one but not sure if that was at Big Lots or some where else. I will check the canes and soak them.

Yes we get black spot. I pick them all the time. I dry to water from the bottom and in the morning. I have a soaker hose on two of my roses and need one for my Altissiomo. One of my Knock Out Roses didn't do well. I need to move it maybe because it is being overshadowed by a large Brug. My newest rose a Red Knock out is really thriving. I need to get a couple more.

Where do you get your Roses in Tyler? I am looking at the Chamblee's site now. Have you ordered from them before?

Dor , I have a reply... but, not completed.Had company so I'll have to post tomorrow,don't worry I am up before the birds,,say around the time the cat scratches my carpet until I am awake and start throwing my pillowssssss at him*lol
I am not a cat person... I'm a dog or plant or bug person.
He is an orange cat and I just had to have one to fulfill my amazement ..Who would have ever thought of an orange cat besides the One that did*LOL
Orange why not orange people or orange tires...or orange horses (*LOL )

Meanwhile yippy yippity ...I could have just complete the reply..
Im ready for the hay..actually it would be such fun sleeping in hay right next to my pond with the fishies frogs and toad*LOL I think I need SPRING! this snow and lack of sleep is blaaaaa..
Catch you in the early AM!
Night night..

Kale:)

Thanks Kale for all the good directions. I am printing them for my records. I think I saw 1 1/2 instead of one but not sure if that was at Big Lots or some where else. I will check the canes and soak them.

Yes we get black spot. I pick them all the time. I dry to water from the bottom and in the morning. I have a soaker hose on two of my roses and need one for my Altissiomo. One of my Knock Out Roses didn't do well. I need to move it maybe because it is being overshadowed by a large Brug. My newest rose a Red Knock out is really thriving. I need to get a couple more.

Where do you get your Roses in Tyler? I am looking at the Chamblee's site now. Have you ordered from them before?**
A few things, first, Thank you very much and remember me when sharing ;)

2nd, Only soak up to or below the Knuckle ( ball like) see it on the Chrysler Imperial ? It is just above the ground.
Next; 3rd, is I had to remove all my soakers that I put down everywhere they tend to spray instead of soaking/dripping like they were meant to do.
Just a warning .I bought good Sears soakers didn’t skip out on that! I gave them away with a warning! I put in drip but… for some reason unknown to me it doesn’t work.

4th ,((What is that/this?” “ one for my Altissiomo.” ))

Anyway, what’s the name of your knockout? Some simply do not flower constantly; I understand you may have a different result being you are in a completely different climate then I am but…. All my Knockouts that I tend bloomed wildly until Sept. then some forgot to bloom and they just got new growth. I have “Rainbow Knockout ” which is a darling but she didn't constantly bloom she had a short rest period that bummed me out because I had not (still don't ) remembered that she rested in 07.
How long has she been there?
As far as the thriving Knock out, take cuttings we can talk about that in the other thread.
Roses from Tyler roses are the ones that are shipped to Aldis and (Big Lots *years ago)
Almost every one of the many roses I own are from Tyler Texas.
I started out just buying healthy looking at specimens along with the labels (picture of rose and name) before I knew it I had so many in my cart, I had to make another trip!
It kept happening ,year after year 5,10,15,20,etcc I just couldn’t stop I went as far as buying way more of my very favorites and encouraging others to buy, I didn’t have the heart to leave them in that box….! Seeing their picture just drew me like a magnet*LOL!!
I need reins!*LOL

*****(Look on the back, very bottom for their name and …. are the bags red?)
Oh my..I better go eat! Times flies when you are talk without interruption *LOL!!!!!!!!

OH...Here are 3 of my 2008 labels.
Kale

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh forgot this part...
Chamblee's site-don’t think it is them, only because they would have put their name on the rose bags….not just Tyler Texas and zip code.I will however check them out after I call the Tyler Nursery phone number that I did get after a bit of research.
I was told they didn't have a website so will call them if I remember after 9am my time.
They are associated with Aldis,I have not seen them in Big Lots (as of last season) and the roses they did have were way too far gone to even try to save!
Many Big lots closed down here in Wayne county.They had wonderful prices and selections with quality; one of the buying a house here motivations. They are all gone but one; that isn't doing too well.

Kale

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/rose-520.html

Here's a picture of the Altissimo Climinbing Rose Kale. I have had it about two years. I need to dig a bigger hole and replant it. A lot of the soil has washed away in the bed where I have it and first of all I didn't plant it deep enough. The knockout that is thriving is a Red Double Knock out. The one that is not I need to look on the tag to see the name. I bought it on the internet I don't remember if it was Michigan bulb or Springhill. It is 3 years old and has never done much.

I have a rose that I thought was a peach Knockout either I am wrong or it was mislabled. I bought it at the Houston Garden Center on year end clearance. Last year all of a sudden it bloomed a pretty velvety dark red. I was astonished. Then later on it bloomed the peach. I am going to look to see if I have a picture to post. I lost my pink tree rose last winter. I didn't protect it well enough. I bought it at the Houston Garden Center too. I had it out in the yard without the proper protection from the cold. I bought a red one for my girlfriend and hers is doing fine. She has her's up next to her house. I think I bought them at a steal of $5 each or less.

Here's a few of my roses. The first one is the Altissimo, 2nd is Red Double Knockout, My avatar is Tiffany, and the peach one is the one that bloomed red last year.

Attachments

• tn_Tuesday Morning 0041.JPG
    tn_Tuesday Morning 0041.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 407
  • tn_Tuesday Morning 0051.JPG
    tn_Tuesday Morning 0051.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 390
  • tn_My Blooms 2008 005.JPG
    tn_My Blooms 2008 005.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 394
  • tn_Fall garden 005.JPG
    tn_Fall garden 005.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 379
Is that a wild rose! It looks like one I saw in a park..Very pretty.
Those are blooming now correct?
We are covered in frozen grounds and piles of snow and you have blooming roses! Isn't America Great!:D

Here are single and double knock outs they are roses that I care for.
I will have to pay attention next year to see if it was the single or double knockouts (or both) that slept for a while,not many if any went to hips,which I found mighty curious.
My daughter has a "Pink Peace" (bought it at Big Lots in March of 2002)that looks nothing like a Pink Peace! It blooms several different colors every year. (Hybrid Tea) And during the season it blooms different colors and different shapes it is a truly fascinating plant.It blooms for various shades of pink to orange but never the brilliant Pink of mine*LOL
It blooms with about 20petals to 35-40 petals It is a plant that keeps my daughters attention*LOL I love the little stinker*LOL

They only knockout I really have (besides cutting that haven't made it a full year yet) is rainbow which is a single,she is nearly care free,she is in a bed all by herself.:)

I had a geranium that I over wintered indoors it bloomed tiny white flowers then orangish That second year after the first flush of a few blooms it slept then the show was one it was stunningly gorgeous,then that year I over wintered like instructed and it died.I should have done what I did they year before it was terrible.
Any way point being, I think they revert first bloom, then remember who the parents are and bloom what they were meant to bloom. And you will have the beautiful peach blooms..cant wait to know if that ever happens again!

That is so interesting :D:D

Theresa Bugnet

This is my dormant Theresa Bugnet. Are these rose hips on her and if so...what are their purpose?
ATTACH]

Is that a wild rose! It looks like one I saw in a park..Very pretty.
Those are blooming now correct?
We are covered in frozen grounds and piles of snow and you have blooming roses! Isn't America Great!:D

Here are single and double knock outs they are roses that I care for.
I will have to pay attention next year to see if it was the single or double knockouts (or both) that slept for a while,not many if any went to hips,which I found mighty curious.
My daughter has a "Pink Peace" (bought it at Big Lots in March of 2002)that looks nothing like a Pink Peace! It blooms several different colors every year. (Hybrid Tea) And during the season it blooms different colors and different shapes it is a truly fascinating plant.It blooms for various shades of pink to orange but never the brilliant Pink of mine*LOL
It blooms with about 20petals to 35-40 petals It is a plant that keeps my daughters attention*LOL I love the little stinker*LOL

They only knockout I really have (besides cutting that haven't made it a full year yet) is rainbow which is a single,she is nearly care free,she is in a bed all by herself.:)

I had a geranium that I over wintered indoors it bloomed tiny white flowers then orangish That second year after the first flush of a few blooms it slept then the show was one it was stunningly gorgeous,then that year I over wintered like instructed and it died.I should have done what I did they year before it was terrible.
Any way point being, I think they revert first bloom, then remember who the parents are and bloom what they were meant to bloom. And you will have the beautiful peach blooms..cant wait to know if that ever happens again!

That is so interesting :D:D

I don't think any of my roses are wild Kale. The peach one was labeled knowout but I don't think it is. I went to the Farmer's Market Friday and they had some #1 Bare Root Roses for $5.95 but I didn't get any. I want to look at Big Lots first because their's are $3. I am sure I will get 2 or 3 at both places. I just love roses. I am rooting some cuttings right now. I have 3 pots full. My while climbing rose rooted by itself because my yard man moved my large rock in the front flower bed and sat it on one of the runners. I now have a couple of new roses that look healthier than the mama plant. Can we trade later this year?

Are these rose hips on her and if so...what are their purpose

Mel, if you pop those open, you will find seeds inside. The hips are usually covered with pricklies though so wear gloves. :eek:

This is my dormant Theresa Bugnet. Are these rose hips on her and if so...what are their purpose?
/IMG][/IMG]
To feed birds*lol
No, really, they have several purposes only I don't get many, only my knockout produces them and she is a baby .I tried to grow the seed one year but, forgot about it because some one over 6feet tall moved it and I lost track of it and the soil dried out.It is a very long process to do anything with them as far as reproducing. But if you go to about.com I am sure they will tell you lots of things that can be done with them.I personally would try to extract the oils! and maybe try the tea:D, rich in vitamin C!

I don't think any of my roses are wild Kale. The peach one was labeled knowout but I don't think it is. I went to the Farmer's Market Friday and they had some #1 Bare Root Roses for $5.95 but I didn't get any. I want to look at Big Lots first because their's are $3. I am sure I will get 2 or 3 at both places. I just love roses. I am rooting some cuttings right now. I have 3 pots full. My while climbing rose rooted by itself because my yard man moved my large rock in the front flower bed and sat it on one of the runners. I now have a couple of new roses that look healthier than the mama plant. Can we trade later this year?
Trade! Sure let me know.
Did you get any yet?

I am looking for "Gypsy" "Dream Come True" Grandiflora Rose,
and - "Neptune" Hybrid Tea Rose and Princess Diana. and NewDay (pic)

No, Kale I haven't bought any yet but I will keep the ones in mind that you are looking for when I go out, probably next week. I really would like a rooted Seven Sisters if anyone has one and willing to trade with me.

I pruned my Altissimo and Fourth of July today. I have 4 pots of cuttings. I have one I pruned but my the life of me I can't remember what it is.

I need to get some beds dugs down the sides of my driveway. I might make these raised beds and fill in with my new roses, LA Hybrid and Orienpet Lilies and I don't know what else. I would like a large circle bed out by the street with a Sago Palm in the middle. My sago Plams don't do well and my neighbors next door don't do anything to their yard and plants and they have two huge ones.

Last edited:
Rose hips are supposed to be chock full of vitamin C
The only kinds of roses I can grow are old fashioned hedge roses. I have 2 different yellow ones and a tiny single white one. I also have a single pink one and the only REAL rose I have is a Blaze climber. As many as I have tried I can't seem to be able to get bush roses to grow thru the winter here.

Kya, How do you classify Old fashion hedge roses? Roses that were introduced before 1867?
I understand there may be different years.

You have me curious with that statement..

Kya, the roses have a hard time surviving the nasty winters here also. Do you have alot of high winds? I think I have found a solution. I cut the bottoms out of large buckets and containers I got from the garden center. I place these over the tea roses and fill it up with mulch. I didn't lose a rose that I protected this way...now...just to collect more buckets and containers. I would love to just put a twenty foot wall around my whole property. With my luck it would just trap the wind in and it would be like a huge swirly tornado on my property and suck in all the weed seeds from the neighboring weed field.

Smelly Melly, I tried to make a wind barrier and not sure if I helped or hurt.I have very much dieback, I trimmed and pruned several roses.I usually let mine go,trim in early spring.We get too much weather change,if I cut last spent blooms It will continue to grow I actually had a beautiful bloom during snow season..Pretty.I have a pic of the one that bloomed about a week after my Birthday in 2006!
Interesting but not good *lol
Here is one of them.*lol
Mr.Lincoln is known for that, don't know how..he is a drought rose *LOL
Loves the sun and summer...or so they wrote*lol

Attachments

• BLOOMS after my bithday 2006.jpg
    BLOOMS after my bithday 2006.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 367
This is a couple of my roses that has never bloomed as I can remember. I believe they are bareroot. I have had them couple of years, three at the most and have long ago lost the tag. Does anyone have any idea what they are?

Attachments

• tn_Roses 004.JPG
    tn_Roses 004.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 357
  • tn_Roses 005.JPG
    tn_Roses 005.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 399
Do you know the name of this rose?All I know is it's rooted from Grandmother's bush past down for years.

Attachments

• Moms flowers 015.JPG
    Moms flowers 015.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 393
  • Moms flowers 025.JPG
    Moms flowers 025.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 404
  • Mom's flowers 007.JPG
    Mom's flowers 007.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 391

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back