Can you identify this fruit?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Tim in PA

They are about the size of a large cherry.

The tree is growing together with a mulberry tree. I am not a fan of the fruit falling in the yard but I haven't had the courage to taste them.

IMG_20120819_151125.png

Leaves and fruit look like a plum!
Cut one open and give it a lick!

Mulberries when they start falling are ripe for eating! you can eat them fresh or do them up into a jelly or jam.....they also make a nice wine!

Plums? Really...hmm. Even though they don't get much bigger than a cherry? It is too late to try now, they are all gone. I wish I would have tried them... I guess I'll have to try next year.

Pot Plums make the greatest jam and jelly. And are good to eat if they are good and ripe. If they are the least bit green they are really tart.
I have never seen them much bigger than a cherry

This is taken from Utah state univ site
An example of one of these “lost” varieties is the Potawatomi plum. It was once widely planted in the Intermountain West. According to the 1910 published Agricultural Experiment Station book, “The Plums of New York,” the variety was found in 1875 in Tennessee. People quickly recognized its excellent flavor, cold hardiness and disease resistance, and it became popular throughout much of the United States. The book states that the plum “is possibly of greater cultural value than any other of its species especially for northern latitudes. It’s of high quality…the texture of the fruit being especially pleasing in eating, and though melting and juicy it keeps and ships well because of its tough skin.” The plum is still found on old homesteads and roadsides, but it is no longer known to be commercially available.

As to why varieties as highly regarded as the Potawatomi plum lose favor, the reasons are many. Culturally, eating habits change. Many nursery owners have noted that the number of plums they sell has greatly declined over the last several years.

We do have them up here, but are not very common!
There is a stand of them on the old farm across the road from us! It is a very old stand covering a area a good 30ft round, and is well over 100 years old! They do not produce many fruit (due to endless decades of neglect) but they are a similar size to the small german plum I have growing on the our property. They are around the size of a larger grape.

I have never known where they come from but have been eating them since I was a child. I love them. I thought you had to remove the seeds but I've been told to just crunch them up and eat them.

I have never eaten the pit but they are very common out here and in so. Utah where I was raised.

The pit is small but is as hard as a rock! I wouldn't try cracking one with my teeth!

Cool. I have something to look forward to. I was thinking of ways to stop it from fruiting but now I'll just trim it a bit and see how I like the fruit. I don't remember previous years, but this year there were a ton of them. It really made a mess in the yard.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back