Canning and freezing recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, remove the skins. I think the salsa is better that way.

Salsa, medium/hot, batch #02-1
40 cups of Roma tomatoes, peeled, cored, and chopped
20 habanero peppers, seeded and diced
4 cups jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
12 cups sweet peppers (bell peppers or whatever you like) seeded and diced
1 cup cilantro, chopped
8 medium onions, chopped or diced
10 large scallions with tops, chopped
4 heaping tablespoons of minced garlic
1/3rd cup of lime juice
4 cups apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons of salt
2 teaspoons of black pepper

In large stockpot (20 quart) add all ingredients. Bring to a boil stirring often. Let simmer on reduced heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and ladle into hot jars. Affix lids and process in hot water bath for 20 minutes.

Note: Batch #02-1 was an excellent salsa. Our Crabbergirl in Florida commented that it was “to die for”.

Jade

Alrighty kiddos, it is that time, what is everyone canning and freezing this year? Any interesting recipes to share? What does everyone have to say about Refrigerator pickles? I am in the mode now, so the next 3 to 4 weeks should be full of activity for me.

Kya D

I have a recipe for freezer pickles and I am amazed how tasty they are. MMMmmmm
I got it from this site. But I can't for the life of me remember who posted it.

Maggie

I have been canning pears this week. I have 27 quarts and 9 pints. I gave a bushel of them to a friend and there is at least another bushel on the tree but I have all I want this year beside they are to high to reach and I don't like to shake the tree. They get to bruised when they hit the ground. Don't you know though the biggest ones are at the top.
My friend gave me a recipe for pear honey that I'm going to try before they are gone. Sounds simple to make.

Kya D

Gosh Maggie I sure wish I were your friend and lived closer.
I love to can peaches, pears whatever.
My Mom always loved to can tomatoes after she canned peaches or pears cuz the acid in the tomatoes took the stains off of her hands that the fruit left.

Maggie

Yeah my hands are stained something terrible and I have to go to the Dr. tomorrow. I going to use straight bleach on them tonight. I sure wish you had the rest of these pears. I hate to see them go to waste.
I forgot to add the recipe for pear honey.

Pear Honey
3 cups pears
1 cup crushed pineapple unsweeten with juice
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup honey.
Mix all together, cook until thick pour into jars and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Jade

I just finished spiced peaches and my favorite peach habanero jam. Tomorrow is sugar free peach jam and refrigerator pickles. Thursday is spiced tomato jam. And friday is big clean up...my kitchen is a wreck. Bruce is in Mexico with work this week and I am hard at it. He hates a wrecked house, so gotta get it done and get cleaned up.

Jade

I made a new one last week which is a keeper...spicy tomato jam. We tried it out over the weekend. I am going to make some peach salsa today and also start another batch of that tomato jam, it is going to be a good one for the christmas gift baskets.

Jade

Spicy Tomato Jam
By PaulaG on October 13, 2006
3 Reviews Prep Time: 15 mins Total Time: 216 hrs 15 mins Yield: 4 half-pints Ingredients
2 lbs ripe tomatoes 1 -2 serrano chilies, seeded, finely chopped 4 cups sugar 1/4 cup lemon juice 1/2 cup fresh cilantro or 1/2 cup fresh basil, minced 1 1/2 cups tomato juice Directions
Bring a medium size pan of water to a boil.
Plunge washed tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds or until skin slips easily when placed in cold water.
Remove tomatoes from hot water with a slotted spoon and plunge immediately into cold water.
Cut off tops, remove skin and core (It is not necessary to remove all the seeds but I would recommend removing the core.).
Cut the tomatoes into fourths, place in container of food processor along with metal blade and pulse 2 to 3 times to chop being careful not to over process.
Place the tomatoes in a large non-reactive pot or Dutch oven; simmer 10 minutes.
Add the chili and sugar, stirring to blend; add lemon juice, cilantro and tomato juice stirring to blend.
Bring to a boil over high heat and stir until sugar dissolves; approximately 1 minute.
Boil gently for 10 minutes skimming off and discarding any scum that may come to the surface.
Remove from heat, cover and allow to sit at room temperature for a minimum of 8 hours; overnight is fine.
Return the tomatoes to heat, bring to a simmer and allow to cook until thick and temperature on candy/jelly thermometer reaches 220 degrees; approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
Skim off any foam, ladle into hot, clean, half-pint canning jars, and leaving 1-inch of head space.
Wipe the rim of the jars with clean cloth, place on the lids and rings; put the jars into a water bath canner with boiling water and process for 5 to 10 minutes or as recommended for your altitude.
Carefully remove the jars from the water and place on countertop on top of a towel.
Allow jars to cool and check seal; label and store in cool place. Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2Spicy Tomato Jam (cont.)
Directions (cont.)
Note: If you don't have a candy/jelly thermometer; you can use the plate test. Place a small plate in the freezer and allow to chill. Remove plate a drop a small amount of hot jam onto plate, return to freezer for 1 minute. The mixture should hold its shape when touched and not have watery edges.

Jade

Ok guys, there it is! I used basil in mine, no lemon juice and added a pack of pectin because I didn't want to wait forever for it to cook down. It isn't firm, but still yummy.

SandiB

Sandi,
Waana post them for us??

Freezer Salsa
10 fresh medium size tomatoes
2 fresh medium size onions
2 fresh medium size jalepenos ( I add more PLUS banana peppers)
1 fresh medium size green pepper
1 fresh lemon (I use big squirt of real lemon)
1 teaspoon garlic powder ( I use fresh garlic )
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large food processor
freezer safe containers (freezer bags work & easier to store)

Wash and remove the stems of the green pepper, jalepenos, and onions. Place them in a large food processor. Run the food processor on low until the ingredients are well chopped. This salsa is mild, for hotter salsa add more jalepenos.
Wash the tomatoes and remove the stems. Quarter the tomatoes and place them in the food processor.
Juice 1 lemon and add the lemon juice to the food processor.

Add the salt and the garlic powder (fresh garlic) to the food processor.

Run the food processor on the low setting until the salsa reaches the desired consistency. For chunkier salsa, do not over-process the tomatoes.

Enjoy the salsa immediately or transfer the salsa to freezer safe containers and freeze.

I made this recipe but played with it..adding some of my own tastes & flavors. Can be used as a "base"...add your own "touch" :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com