Canning Pesto

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone canned pesto? I couldn't find a canning recipe so I just used my one that i make fresh and processed in 4oz jars at 15lbs for 40 min. this is because I had fresh garlic in the pesto. there was also olive oil in the original recipe. They look ok, sealed good, but just have never done it. I am going to do more online research today but thought maybe you guys might know something about Pesto. I have so much cilantro that I want to make good use of it.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am very confused. You can buy pesto in jars on the store shelf, not refrigerated, so there has to be a safe canning method...right?Third or 4th post down says she cans pesto with no problems. I have mine canned , but may put it in the freezer as well. I sure would hate to kill somebody. :eek:

http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-pesto-sauce.html

Still relying on you guys with vast experience in canning to weigh in.

Thanks

Last edited:

Kya D

I wish I could help, I have never canned pesto
Freezing it is probably the best bet--- better safe than sorry

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know what goes into pesto, but canning procedures are dictated by the acidity in the food. If it is a low-acid food then it has to be canned in a pressure canner. The timing would be determined by the maximum time required by the individual ingredients.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy,
My pesto is cilantro, garlic, olive oil and salt in that order amount wise. It is like a thin paste. Sometimes I add pine nuts, or the herb maybe basil instead. Everything I read on line suggest freezing. Most home canning sites recommend against canning. I did find one post (link above) of a girl who does can her pesto, and claims she ahs not had a problem. I probably over processed out of fear, but the product looks good.
i was once told you couldn't can meat either ;) but we know that's incorrect.

Wombat

Crabber I was taught to always freeze it. Randy's right about the low acid as herbs and oil are both. It's a real haven for bacteria ( clostridium)as it's uncooked. I just put mine in ice cube trays and wait til it's frozen and then put them into a freezer bag or plastic container and use them when needed. They're fine in the freezer for 3 to 6 months maximum, that's the way I do it and I'm still alive!:D

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad you are alive, I would call that some internet connection if you weren't :D:D:D:

I will freeze mine then. I am that person who has to find the answer to the question, " if it is not "cannable" then why is it in jars on the shelf at the store. Not saying you guys aren't right , it is just a nagging ??, gotta wonder if it is safe.

Thanks for all the input...Freezing it is!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are two things you might do, Nancie. Look over the list of ingredients on the jars at the market and also check with the county extension office. If the master canners there say don't can it, then I would follow that advice.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good thought. Thanks Randy. I bet you are on the right track. The products in the store may have additional preservatives.

Wombat

Nancy: I had a look last night when I was shopping and the pesto in jars on the shelf have a small amt of those old preservatives salt and oil in them. In the deli they also had fresh pesto refrigerated with a much shorter shelf life of 2 weeks.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guess I will not use what I have canned. I did add salt but better safe than sorry :( I have only found one person who says they have lived to tell about canning pesto. Ag & Canning centers say don't do it :( What a waste of some much cilantro. Next time I will just give it way. :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com