Canning Recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ran across this canning site that was real interesting..thought I would share. It seems to have every canning recipe needed except what I was looking for.
http://www.canning-recipes.com/

Does anyone have a canning recipe for green pears? My brother's tree was so loaded that the limb broke and I hate for all those pears to go to waste.:eek:

Last edited:

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
That happened to mine last yr Gloria and had to throw so many of them away. Never thought about trying to do something with the green pears.. Hope you find something to do with them

Kya D

I know pears will ripen if they are picked green but not if they a small and VERY green.
We have a winter type pear at work and I can pick them in oct put them in a cool place covered with a blanket and by Dec they will be ripe.
The worst that could happen is that they will rot because they are TOO green.
But they might ripen

Spider_Lily

I have been trying to keep my fig's picked this week.I have made 6 pint's of fig preserves .I have to check them often the birds love them too.:)

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Gloria...do oyu want to can them while they are green as in unripe?...or is this a green pear when ripe..?

Kya D

You might want to tell your brother to prop the heavy laden branches...we use a long 2x4 with a short 2x4 nailed across the top. Just to support the branches until the fruit ripens.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might want to tell your brother to prop the heavy laden branches...we use a long 2x4 with a short 2x4 nailed across the top. Just to support the branches until the fruit ripens.

Wished I had thought of doing something like that last yr. I did try to prop one branch but 2 others broke as they were loaded with pears that were not full grown and still hard when they broke. I had picked alot of the pears off too as there was way too many on the tree.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kya, he did prop the limbs..this one broke anyway. This tree is loaded!!! I couldn't find a recipe using un-ripe pears so it's a waste but there's lots more if the limbs and props hold out. This is a "Pound Pear" tree. The pears are large and heavy. They're usually ready the first of September so they're still very green.
Lisa, glad the link was of help.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been trying to keep my fig's picked this week.I have made 6 pint's of fig preserves .I have to check them often the birds love them too.:)

I love figs.. my brother gave me a small bush this past Spring and I moved it to my yard. No fruit this year but it has a few green leaves so maybe it was shocked from the move. I'm hoping for better next year. Have any secrets to the success of producing figs?

Mom made a jam with figs and strawberry jello mix..anyone have a recipe for this?

Kya D

My Mom used to make fig jello jam but I didn't like it so I didn't get the recipe.
Not just the jam I don't much care for Figs

Dor

I don't care for pear perserves at all. I used to eat the juice off of them but my mom canned lots of them every year.

Spider_Lily

FIG-STRAWBERRY PRESERVES

3 c. mashed figs, about 20 med.
2 pkgs. (3 oz. each) strawberry flavored gelatin
3 c. sugar

Wash figs leaving skins on. Mash and thoroughly mix figs with gelatin and sugar in a large pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 10 minutes, stirring to keep from scorching. Pour quickly into glasses. Seal at once with 1/2 inch of HOT paraffin. Makes 6 medium glasses of preserves. OPTIONAL: other flavored gelatin can also be used.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com