Canning Season

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gonepostal thank you for the zucchini relish recipe. It looks scrumptious!!!! I am going to ask Ron or Bob if your recipe post can be duplicated under the recipe section to make sure everyone has the opportunity to see the recipe.

Dale
You can put it in the recipe section as long as GP doesn't mind. I'm sure she won't as she posted it here. It will be great to have all the recipes in one section.

I guess that is my only option. I wanted everyone to have the availability to see that great recipe.

I can't wait to start canning again too. Now that I know we have a big lots here I am really psyched. I am supporting the farmer who owns the woods behind our house. When we first moved here and I had my Ontario license plates he asked me if I drove all the way from Ontario for his tomatoes, ha. Nice guy.

Dale
You can put it in the recipe section as long as GP doesn't mind. I'm sure she won't as she posted it here. It will be great to have all the recipes in one section.

Sure----fine by me. Any recipes I put on the site are for anyone who wants them,I like to share good recipes! :D If i had half a brain I'd have posted it there myself.:rolleyes: Oh well!

Gonepostal thanks, I am like you about sharing a good recipe with folks. Just thought more members might see it in the recipe section.

Now who would ever think of looking for a recipe in the recipe thread? LOL

Miss Dale, I had my 3-month checkup this morning. Good news all the way around except for allergies. I'm still snortin' and sneezin' but he gave me some nasal spray to try. A1C was 5.8, down one tenth from last time.

Speaking of recipes though, that will help anyone doing a search.

Big Lots has a 20% coupon off purchases today from 5-9 pm i think it is
i got it in an email yesterday
was planning on going tonight but we will be in a middle of a snowstorm so i doubt i will be going at 5 tonight

I got the coupon in an email also Dale. I am not sure I will be going tonight but will try. I can get some extra containers with it.

We will be close to a 'Big Lots' today when we go to church, so maybe I can convince MF to stop by with me.

This is an interesting and informing post here,,,I also can and make squash relish and it is so delicious and everyone around that knows that I make it request a jar every season and some even supply the squash on a share basis for the relish,,which also helps out,,I can a lot of things like squash relish, zucchini butter, pickled tomatoes,, canned tomatoes, tomatoe juice, all kinds of jellies, gallon jug pickles and dill pickles, and spicy dill pickles, which has gone really well this year also plus my gallon jug pickles,,,and pickled beets..and I have sent some of my pickles and butter as far as Texas...so if anyone has any recipes to share with me as far as canning I would feel honored to receive them..oh how do you make squash pickles,,I always receive a bumper crop of them from my sister in law,,and dont know what to do with the squash after I get done making all the squash relish..you all take care God bless you and your loved ones,,,Cassie

Cassie, I have a recipe for beet pickle brine that I got from a young lady in Australia that is really good. I lost track of her though, but the recipe lives on. I'll have to dig it out and post it again.

We have a thrift store here called DI and they sell canning jars for between 15 and 25 cents. They don't always come with the rings but sometimes they do. You just have to watch to be sure that they will seal. You can get them pretty easy now because most people don't can and everybody used to.

Hi Randy,,that would be great,,,I cant wait to try it and see how they turn out,,,and plus I always have a bumper crop of cucumbers,,thank you for responding to my post,,you take care God bless you and your loved ones,,Cassie

pickled beets pickling brine

Pickling brine recipe from Lee Haines in Australia;
2 cups of water
8 cups of vinegar
2 cups of sugar
24 whole cloves
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped ginger
3 tablespoons of peppercorns
3 sticks of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of minced garlic
2 teaspoons of mustard seed
4 teaspoons of salt

Place all in a saucepan, cover, and bring slowly to a boil. Leave covered and set aside until cold. Strain and use.

I prepared my beets by boiling them until I could get the skins off easily. The larger beets, I would cut up into smaller pieces. But I also re-heated the pickling brine and processed the jars in a water bath canner.

Last edited:
This is an interesting and informing post here,,,I also can and make squash relish and it is so delicious and everyone around that knows that I make it request a jar every season and some even supply the squash on a share basis for the relish,,which also helps out,,I can a lot of things like squash relish, zucchini butter, pickled tomatoes,, canned tomatoes, tomatoe juice, all kinds of jellies, gallon jug pickles and dill pickles, and spicy dill pickles, which has gone really well this year also plus my gallon jug pickles,,,and pickled beets..and I have sent some of my pickles and butter as far as Texas...so if anyone has any recipes to share with me as far as canning I would feel honored to receive them..oh how do you make squash pickles,,I always receive a bumper crop of them from my sister in law,,and dont know what to do with the squash after I get done making all the squash relish..you all take care God bless you and your loved ones,,,Cassie
Cassie-what kind of squash do you make your relish out of and would you mind sharing your recipe? I do like finding new ways to use up the gardens bounty. I hate to waste anything!

I think I'll try that one this year, although the one I winged last year has gotten rave reviews.

We used to make pickled beets using vinegar, water, salt, pepper, and sugar.
But it was one of those recipies that was mix it all together and taste it (then Mom would say) and if it dosen't taste right add more until it dose. I never could make it taste like hers

I have used the recipe in the Ball Blue Book along with the one I posted and I must prefer the one I posted

Randy--was wondering if we should start a thread for all the canning & pickling recipes and ,if so,should we start it here or in the recipe section? What do you think?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back